Question If I change a component on the PC it will no longer boot ?

Davoda1

Reputable
May 16, 2021
As in not boot I mean no power to any component just to the power button there is no reaction, no lights nothing.
About the system:
It has both Win11 and Linux on it tho that shouldn't have any effect and the motherboard is a
ASRock B560M-ITX/ac with BIOS version:: P2.00 (yes there is an update on previous version this was an issue as well)

If I try to change the RAM or add a card it will not boot, but if I switch it back to what it was it starts up normally.

Since it has win11 installed it has both TPM and SafeBoot on when I use it, but turning both off before trying to change any component it makes no difference to the outcome.

As the basic things that I know:
There is no compatibility issue
Components are properly installed and nothing is unplugged (except power while changing stuff)
cmos battery has charge and is functional

What I think that maybe the safe boot options are not allowing it to turn on when components are changed, but I haven't encountered with something like this on any other computer, so I have no idea what the issue is. To be honest it's a low priority but it would be nice to know what this is happening. Thanks for any input :)

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"As in not boot I mean no power to any component just to the power button there is no reaction, no lights nothing."

I would expect to see some diagnostic LEDs and/or beep codes. If nothing then that suggests some complete lack of power to PSU or out of the PSU.

= = = =

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

What specific RAM and card components have you been trying to change/switch: X --> Y?

Where X and Y represent any given component, make, model, specs, etc..

Did you change any PSU cables serving the PC. Only use the power cables that come with the PSU.

Davoda1

Reputable
May 16, 2021
So secure boot and TPM is on normally but turned off before shutdown for hardware change.

the RAM
IN: Patriot PC4-24000 3000MHz (2x4GB)
OUT: G.Skill F4-3000C16D (2x8GB)

previously what I also tried
IN: NONE
OUT: GT1030 and GT7(10 or 30)

PSU: Thermaltake Smart BX1 650W

3 SATA slots in use no M.2

And the changes:
If I plug a card in -> literally nothing
If I remove it -> start as normal
and the same if I change the RAM
So I don't have anything unplugged (outside of the power cable while I change components), so by all reason the only common factor in this is if it has all the same parts in it as before or not, since there is no other difference between scenarios.

And to me it's weird because even on computers with all security on I could easily change stuff with no issue, this is the only system I ever seen this.

Davoda1

Reputable
May 16, 2021
Well; I did try literally everything but if any part is changed the computer will not start at all; not even with a full bios reset. I guess I just won't buy AsRock motherboards again.