[SOLVED] If I install a video card along with the built in video card can I use both?

UnicornU

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2013
One of the main requirements for my new build is to have enough HDMI ports to hook all my monitors and my Graphic Tablet
I am considering buying a video card that should work along with the on board video card.

Are there any limitations or issues that might come out of this setup?
Years ago when I built my last system I run into issues and I had to use either one (the on board) or the other (external video card)

Is this still an issue these days?

Since I need more HDMI outputs is there a low budget card that will allow me to connect more than one HDMI to the same monitor ?

Here are my needs (no games), just some graphic programs like Sketchup or Photosop like (GIMP)

3D class video card with 512 MB of memory or higher and support for hardware acceleration. Please ensure that the video card driver supports OpenGL version 3.1 or higher and up to date.

Are there any limitations or issues that might come out of this setup?
Years ago when I built my last system I run into issues and I had to use either one (the on board) or the other (external video card)
Well back in the day each port could only be used by the GPU it belonged to,it wasn't much of a restriction or issue unless your hardware needed to be connected to the same card to work properly,since you mentioned a graphic tablet and I have no idea what kind of connectivity that needs.

In windows 10 you can make a program use one gpu even if it is connected to the other gpu so there shouldn't be any problems anymore.

UnicornU

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2013
That board supports 3 outputs, you don't need an extra video card.

You only have 2 monitors, each has an hdmi and an analog vga.

Your tablet won't support analog so has to be connected via hdmi irregardless.

You can output hdmi to 1 monitor and vga to the other without an extra gpu with your component list.

Also seriously don't spend that kind of money on a raijintek aidos, it's a $20 cooler.

Last edited:

UnicornU

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2013
OK I can remove the graphic card if you guys believe I won't needed
I can pay 30CAD more for the 9100 CPU that has the GPU integrated and if that will allow me to add a better card later
I will have to check if I have enough cables with adapters to work with this setup
I will need
- VGA to VGA
-HDMI-HDMI
-DVI-VGA
It seems that I have all the cables already

9400 is increasing doubling the original CPU price (9100F) and I am on low budget here as I intend to put more money into a server; this will be my workstation
I am building a workstation that will be used for reading and doc processing + Sketchup design
It seems that I need more memory (I am currently on an older system that has reached its limits)
Not sure if the MB will give me any of the newer peripheral connections and if I am missing anything important by going with this MB

BTW what cooler would you recommend ?

Last edited:
OK I can remove the graphic card if you guys believe I won't needed
I can pay 30CAD more for the 9100 CPU that has the GPU integrated and if that will allow me to add a better card later
I will have to check if I have enough cables with adapters to work with this setup
I will need
- VGA to VGA
-HDMI-HDMI
-DVI-VGA
It seems that I have all the cables already

9400 is increasing doubling the original CPU price (9100F) and I am on low budget here as I intend to put more money into a server; this will be my workstation
I am building a workstation that will be used for reading and doc processing + Sketchup design
It seems that I need more memory (I am currently on an older system that has reached its limits)
Not sure if the MB will give me any of the newer peripheral connections and if I am missing anything important by going with this MB

BTW what cooler would you recommend ?

Solid no frills board, as long as it has enough usb ports for your use its fine. Cooler? You don't absolutely need one but if you want silence and cool running

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=8_129&item_id=159142

A gammaxx 400s for $25cad is hard to ignore.

Dependant on case compatibility as its 155mm tall.

I have these case and power supply

PSU -https://www.newegg.ca/seasonic-x-series-x650-gold-650w/p/N82E16817151088
-chassis - https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811119137

I hope they will work with my build above linked

I am surprised that I don't need a cooler, how come ?
My older Q9400 CPU needs one, the new CPU seems more powerful

The i3 does need a cooler, the point is it comes with one in the box.

Its a stock intel flat cooler, its not amazing but it will do the job.

Your case and psu are absolutely fine, upto you if you want something like the gammaxx 400, it will run virtually silent with an i3.

https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/B365M-DS3H-rev-10/sp#sp

Scroll down to onbaord graphics, it states it supports 3 simultaneous displays.

2 x digital (hdmi + dvi-d)
1 x vga

It does not support a dvi to vga adapter as the dvd output is purely digital.

How many displays do you actually need to run??

Edit - your tablet requires hdmi aswell, I'm with you now.

So you need 1 digital out to one monitor
1 digital out to tablet
1 analog out (vga) to second monitor.

You need
1 x hdmi to hdmi cable
1 x vga to vga cable
1 x DVI-D to hdmi cable (this cable I don't think you own?)

https://www.amazon.ca/DVI-D-HDMI-Vi...+to+hdmi&qid=1594742047&sprefix=Dvi-d&sr=8-16

Last edited:

UnicornU

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2013
I think I will go with the included cooler and upgrade later if needed
I do have a DIC-D to HDMI cable , the D single one shown below
Do I still l need silicone paste between the cooler and the CPU?
dvi-connection-types.png

Last edited:
Silicone paste?! Where did you get that idea?
You don't use silicone paste on cpu.

You use thermal paste. Boxed coolers usually come with thermal paste pre-applied.

To be fair silicone is used as a base in a lot of cheaper thermal pastes.

I wouldnt use the term though, it gives me images of somebody with a sealant gun smearing the CPU with silicone sealant used for decorating etc.