Question If I purchase any VR ready PC, Will I be able to use Oculus Rift S?

Apr 30, 2019
My point is if i purchase any VR ready pc will i be able to use any VR Headset like oculus or samsung gear vr. please suggest me the best. I will use it for gaming.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolfshadw

Titan
Any "VR Ready" PC should (should being the operative word) be able to handle any of the VR head sets on the market. Whether or not they actually do depends on the specifications of the system. The major headset developers do list minimum and/or recommended system requirements for their head sets. That can be used as a guideline for the PC you should purchase.

Some questions:
  1. What is your budget for a PC?
  2. What is your budget for a VR Headset?
  3. Are you opposed to building your own computer?

-Wolf sends

jaa228

Distinguished
May 19, 2012
My point is if i purchase any VR ready pc will i be able to use any VR Headset like oculus or samsung gear vr. please suggest me the best. I will use it for gaming.
Make sure the computer you purchase has DisplayPort or mini DisplayPort. Most VR ready laptops have HDMI out and that will NOT work with the Oculus Rift S.

The Gear VR requires a Samsung phone. Devices like the Oculus Quest or Go are self contained and don't require a PC or phone.

Right now I'm using the Intel NUC 8 Performance-G(NUC8i7HVK) with the Oculus Rift S. The GPU can handle VR OK although I've had better experiences with even a GTX 1050Ti or GTX 1060 6GB. The cool thing about the NUC is how small it is. Plus the kit itself is less than $900. You just need to buy your own RAM, SSD, and copy of Windows 10. Also of note, the latest Radeon graphics driver(18.12.2) doesn't seem to work with the Oculus Rift S. I ended up have to install an older version of the driver(18.10.2) to get it to work.

Last edited: