Question If I replace my RAM with exactly the same set of RAM, do I need to reset my BIOS first?

Yeldur

Honorable
Jan 28, 2017
Hi all,

Got a quick question, I'm aware that when you swap RAM to something else you usually have to reset the DOCP profile, is this still the case if the RAM you replace it with is the exact same model and make?

Thanks all

Well maybe / maybe not on cmos reset.

I just putchased some g.skill trident z gtzr 32g 2x16 3600 with the very same timings as my g.skill trident z royle gold 3600 16gb 2x8.
I didn't want to reset my cmos because of my overclock so I went in to bios and return the ram timimgs back to stock setting at 16 16 16 36 and any thing else to auto then rebooted went back in bios turned off Docp and rebooted. I then shut it down change the ram.
Started it up no issue's.
Rest docp and frequency rebooted.
The went back in changed back to 3733 mhz no issue's.
Went back in changed my timing and trfc's
No issues.

I ran aida64 extreme memory test for about 4hrs while out taking care of errands, no issues.
Later that night gave it a gaming session of about 6hrs with no issue's.

But with all that every system is different and could react differently.

You could try the things I done to find out you still need to reset the cmos or you could get lucky and maybe not.

Reactions: Yeldur

Yeldur

Honorable
Jan 28, 2017
Well maybe / maybe not on cmos reset.

I just putchased some g.skill trident z gtzr 32g 2x16 3600 with the very same timings as my g.skill trident z royle gold 3600 16gb 2x8.
I didn't want to reset my cmos because of my overclock so I went in to bios and return the ram timimgs back to stock setting at 16 16 16 36 and any thing else to auto then rebooted went back in bios turned off Docp and rebooted. I then shut it down change the ram.
Started it up no issue's.
Rest docp and frequency rebooted.
The went back in changed back to 3733 mhz no issue's.
Went back in changed my timing and trfc's
No issues.

I ran aida64 extreme memory test for about 4hrs while out taking care of errands, no issues.
Later that night gave it a gaming session of about 6hrs with no issue's.

But with all that every system is different and could react differently.

You could try the things I done to find out you still need to reset the cmos or you could get lucky and maybe not.
My aim would be to push it through without even touching the DOCP profile, might not even be possible but yeah you are right, there's a degree of "each rig is different" to everything, was more just looking to confirm that it's not something like a set in stone "No, this wouldn't work"