If i run two monitors through one gpu will it split my gpu's processing power 50-50 between them both?

doctor_cavy

Prominent
Apr 20, 2018
I'm getting a second monitor soon that is much better than my current monitor so i want to use it as my main gaming monitor. And i want to use my old monitor as one i can use to just check on messages or do stuff in the background. I'll be using my new monitor plugged in via DVI and my older monitor plugged in via HDMI.

My question is, if i do this setup will my gpu's processing power be split equally between the two monitors? Because i don't want that to happen and want the majority of the processing power on the newer monitor.

my current gpu is a GTX 1060 6gb, and my motherboard is a ASUS PRIME Z370-P

Solution
No, it's not a 50/50 split. Meaning, it can be like 99% on one monitor, but 1% on the other that's just sitting idle unless it's also needing GDI acceleration, then it could be a bit more.

Where it would be 50/50 split in usage is if your gaming on both monitors where the image is spanned all the way across to act as one.

stdragon

Admirable
No, it's not a 50/50 split. Meaning, it can be like 99% on one monitor, but 1% on the other that's just sitting idle unless it's also needing GDI acceleration, then it could be a bit more.

Where it would be 50/50 split in usage is if your gaming on both monitors where the image is spanned all the way across to act as one.

Reactions: jkflipflop98
Solution