Question If I upgrade from Win7 to Win10 do they use the same network adapter and Ethernet drivers?

UFRanger

Distinguished
May 26, 2014
I have a HP Pavilion DV7 laptop using Win 7 Home Pre 64 bit.
It wont let me connect to the internet anymore, even if I plug directly in w/ ethernet cable. The ethernet controller and PCI Device both have a yellow lock, and I uninstalled and restarted, but the lock does not go away. I also tried to update the Network Adapter (Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter) but when I tried to update it, it was nowhere to be found on my computer, after i uninstalled it. I went to HP's site to download the latest drivers and install them (5) but none of them will work.
So my next course of action was to upgrade to Win 10 and hope that doing that will fix the driver issue, so my question is....will it install the proper drivers needed for Win 10 to connect to the internet, either wireless or with the ethernet cable? OR, reinstall Win7 and hope that will fix it, then do the Win10 upgrade? Please and Thank you.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Well, it doesn't have any win 10 drivers so it might not fix it after the install
https://support.hp.com/ph-en/drivers/hp-pavilion-dv7-6000-entertainment-notebook-pc-series/5046247

which drivers did you download? I see a choice of
  • Broadcomm Wireless,
  • Realtek,
  • Intel and
  • Ralink.

It can't be all of them...

If its realtek they have drivers for win 10.
Intel would as well.
Not so sure about Broadcomm or Ralink.

It could as Win 10 developed to claim a lot of PC.

I would try the upgrade, as if it doesn't fix it, we can install win 10 drivers.

UFRanger

Distinguished
May 26, 2014
Well, it doesn't have any win 10 drivers so it might not fix it after the install
https://support.hp.com/ph-en/drivers/hp-pavilion-dv7-6000-entertainment-notebook-pc-series/5046247

which drivers did you download? I see a choice of
  • Broadcomm Wireless,
  • Realtek,
  • Intel and
  • Ralink.

It can't be all of them...

If its realtek they have drivers for win 10.
Intel would as well.
Not so sure about Broadcomm or Ralink.

It could as Win 10 developed to claim a lot of PC.

I would try the upgrade, as if it doesn't fix it, we can install win 10 drivers.
After clicking on the link you provided, I found a realtek one that worked, yeah, but the bad news is that I looked up upgrading to Win10 but read that I don't have the right model to do so, I have the AMD one and it said that the intel ones will work properly.
and I didn't remember getting this but Outbyte Driver Updater pops up when I got connected again, and said I had 41 out of date drivers, so i started updating, but some would not (kept saying excluded) so i think Ill just have to do the rest manually
. No worries Ill just keep this one running til I can afford to upgrade to a newer model.
Thanks very much for your help