If it's not one thing, it's another...

criscokilika

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
A recap of my last problems:
All my problems started when I installed my motherboard without standoffs. Later, it survived the POST but no USB devices would work...

ON THIS EPISODE:
I finally got a usb/ps2 interface keyboard. I was able to get into the BIOS and boot the OS disk. I finally loaded the OS and discovered two problems:

1) I accidentally set the resolution higher than my monitor can handle. Now all the screen will say is "OUT OF RANGE." How do I get the resolution back down?

2) Once I got into the BIOS I noticed that all the USB devices were enabled. However, the keyboard and mouse won't work in the USB port. The mouse will light up but it won't do anything. Same with the keyboard. Did I actually short out just the USB ports? And for some reason the USB ports on the front of the case just won't work at all.

I can get a non-USB mouse but I don't think I'll be able to ever use my USB ports for anything!

BTW, the original keyboard I bought won't even work with the ps/2 adapter. Even if I did short out the USB ports, why would they continue to fry my stuff!?

-AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200
-MSI K9A2GM-FIH
-2x Ballistix 1GB DDR 800
-VisionTek 3870 HD 512MB GDDR4
-Western Digital 160GB SATA 7200rpm
-Cooler Master 500W 115V/230V 8A/6.3A 60/50Hz

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Try to reset the monitor to default and see if that fixes the problem, if not startup in Safe mode which forces 640x480 and will let you adjust it.

Enable "Legacy USB Support" to get problem #2 fixed. If that does not work you have bigger issues.

criscokilika

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
I did get the resolution lower.

Legacy USB Support is enabled :(

I just trouble shooted the USB ports and after it gave me a bunch of questions, it concluded that the USB ports were defective. So the USB ports are defective, but did I short them out or did I just get a bad motherboard? Is it possible to only short out certain parts of the mobo?

godless

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
did you try connecting some other devices to the usb? try like an old camara or someting. if teh port is dead, it's dead. i doubt it will destroy anything else that you connect.

but to save yourself a lot of problems, just rma it. save yourself a headache.