[SOLVED] If Memory installed in A1 B1 Dimms computer will not post.

Oct 26, 2020
I have 32 (16x2) in A2 and B2 (recommended installation) But if I try to add another kit in A1 / B1 no post.

Asus Prime b450M-A/CSM
32gb kit DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600 UDIM CL16Non ECC 1.2v
AMD Ryzen 5 2600

I built two computers with above components, both will not post with memory in A1 B1 Slots. I can see a bent pin, on one, but not both. I can see a bad MB on one, but not both.

I have updated bios, have checked to make sure the cooler was not installed two tight/improperly as well. Still will not post. Only thing I haven't done is reset the CMOS.

Any help would be greatly apricated

Solution
That is some strange memory speeds 1466 old boy or is that single channel?. Always one stick at a time and we'll figure out if it's around or not.

No, it's not strange at all, whatever op is using to see ram speeds is using Data rates, windows does that now, as does cpu-z and a few others. Most other programs (and bios) will read it as DDR, dual data rate, which would be 2933MHz.

Single channel or single rank has no bearing on speeds reported.
Channel is how the bandwidth is used by the memory controller insjde the cpu, dual channel doubles the bandwidth by adding both sticks together, while maintaining the voltages, timings and speeds of a single stick.
Rank is how the pcb of the ram itself organizes the chiplets. Single...
Oct 26, 2020
Might have to do with ram not playing well together or think more likely that it is a problem with dualrank vs single rank. That you got dualrank sticks when needing single rank for the four to make it work.
Thank you for your response, will check into it. The Memory is all the same, so would they still not play well together? I will look and see what I can find with the duel vs. single rank.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Something like cpu-z under memory tab might say what ram you have (partnr0 can you post it here or do the next,

download hwinfo,
install and open it=click run,
close the top window which is the system summary,
in the main window at the left top click "save report",
at the bottom of the next window check "Summary for Clipboard",
after that you'll see what's in the pc,
copy by clicking "copy to clipboard" and rightclick+paste in your next respons
hwinfo is a usefull tool anyway.

Oct 26, 2020
Something like cpu-z under memory tab might say what ram you have (partnr0 can you post it here or do the next,

hwinfo is a usefull tool anyway.
I know the exact ram I have, (I use cpu-z and hwinfo) both are kits, (2*16gig). Its why I asked why you would think the memory is not "playing well together"

Oct 26, 2020
Nice you know, would be nice for me to know too.
Oppss... sorry guess you are wanting :
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (Pinnacle Ridge, PiR-B2)
3850 MHz (38.50x100.0) @ 1549 MHz (15.50x100.0)
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B450M-A
BIOS: 2203, 07/28/2020
Chipset: AMD B450 (Low-Power Promontory PROM26.A)
Memory: 32768 MBytes @ 1466 MHz, 18-21-21-47
- 16384 MB PC25600 DDR4 SDRAM - Samsung 9905678-005.A00G
- 16384 MB PC25600 DDR4 SDRAM - Samsung
Graphics: XFX RX 460
AMD Radeon RX 460, 4096 MB GDDR5 SDRAM
Drive: ST2000DM008-2FR102, 1953.5 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Drive: WDC WD5000AAKS-22V1A0, 488.4 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s
Drive: WDC WD5000AAKS-22V1A0, 488.4 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s
Drive: ST1000DX002-2DV162, 976.8 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Drive: WDC WD10EADS-11M2B1, 976.8 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s
Drive: TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S183L, DVD+R DL
Sound: ATI/AMD Treasure/Baffin - High Definition Audio Controller
Sound: AMD Zen - HD Audio Controller
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Network: NETGEAR WNA3100 N300 Wireless USB Adapter
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (x64) Build 19041.572 (2004/May 2020 Update)

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Well that looks like generic ram. Can't really find much via that nr.
Are there partnrs on the sticks? Look at the little stickers on them. Maybe post a picture of one of tneh stickers.

You can use Imgur to post a picture here,use the "img" link.
Click "new post" ->choose "upload images" -> "browse" ->choose the picture and click "open" ->put cursor on the picture that you uploaded->choose "share links" and copy the img link,paste it in your next post.

Can now only guess that it has to do with them probably being dualrank. Looked at the QVL for ram on that motherboard and with most show speeds >3000mhz only two sticks as supported. Maybe do a clear cmos, insert only the two new sticks and see if they work at all. If so add the other older two sticks at 2133mhz and see if that will work.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020
Well that looks like generic ram. Can't really find much via that nr.
Are there partnrs on the sticks? Look at the little stickers on them. Maybe post a picture of one of tneh stickers.

Can now only guess that it has to do with them probably being dualrank. Looked at the QVL for ram on that motherboard and with most show speeds >3000mhz only two sticks as supported. Maybe do a clear cmos, insert only the two new sticks and see if they work at all. If so add the other older two sticks at 2133mhz and see if that will work.

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/3LtnVjy/comment/1974389187

Can I get them to work? Yesterday I started with installing In A1 booted up and it worked.. then A2. Got to the last stick before it would not boot.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzens do Not like 4 sticks at all.

A1/B1 are secondary slots and and treats them as such by placing limits. They don't react well with the Infinity Fabric, so they are usually limited to default cpu speeds and most attempts to get faster, end up in epic failure.
That's the chart for Matisse cpus, yours will be 2133/2400MHz instead.

Oct 26, 2020
That MB only supports 64 GB RAM kits up to 2800 and there are only a few of those listed on the QVL.
So even if you get the 4 sticks to work they will almost certainly be limited to 2800 or possibly 2666 or 2400.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...y_QVL_For_AMD_2000_Series_Processors_B450.pdf

And if those 4 sticks didn't come in one kit, they may not work together at all.

Yeah, and that's what the memory totals out to. That would be an improvement I think right now it is running at 1466 if I'm reading it right.

Current Memory Clock: 1466.3 MHz

Oct 26, 2020
Ryzens do Not like 4 sticks at all.

A1/B1 are secondary slots and and treats them as such by placing limits. They don't react well with the Infinity Fabric, so they are usually limited to default cpu speeds and most attempts to get faster, end up in epic failure.
That's the chart for Matisse cpus, yours will be 2133/2400MHz instead.
So basically, I'm stuck with being able to just use A2 and B2?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That is some strange memory speeds 1466 old boy or is that single channel?. Always one stick at a time and we'll figure out if it's around or not.

No, it's not strange at all, whatever op is using to see ram speeds is using Data rates, windows does that now, as does cpu-z and a few others. Most other programs (and bios) will read it as DDR, dual data rate, which would be 2933MHz.

Single channel or single rank has no bearing on speeds reported.
Channel is how the bandwidth is used by the memory controller insjde the cpu, dual channel doubles the bandwidth by adding both sticks together, while maintaining the voltages, timings and speeds of a single stick.
Rank is how the pcb of the ram itself organizes the chiplets. Single rank reads the chiplets sequentially, so when data is pushed into an 8Gb stick, it's got a single steam seeing the entire 8Gb. Dual rank sees data in parallel, so a 8Gb stick gets a single stream pushed into 4Gb, then the other 4Gb, flip-flopping back and forth.

AMD's infinity fabric doesn't like dual rank ram at higher speeds, gets confused by the multiple streams, like a juggler with 1 too many balls. So will have issues or even non recognition of ram, limits on speeds in bios etc on dual Rank ram, whether that's run single or dual channel, in A2/B2 or not.

Most ram rated beyond 3200MHz is single Rank, using larger rated chiplets in 4-8 chips on 1 side of the ram vs using more chiplets (8-16) on both sides of the ram (common in the uber cheap ram sticks)

Intel doesn't use infinity fabric (monolithic die) , so doesn't have the same restrictions.

Reactions: Jinxr
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No, 3200MHz and up is almost always Single RANK, don't mix it up with Single Channel, that's totally different. Dual rank or even Quad rank is better used in server type applications where it's lower speeds offer better data security possibilities. It's also cheaper to use 16x 1Gb chiplets on a double sided pcb than use 4x 4Gb chiplets single sided, when talking about large production numbers.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
No, 3200MHz and up is almost always Single RANK, don't mix it up with Single Channel, that's totally different. Dual rank or even Quad rank is better used in server type applications where it's lower speeds offer better data security possibilities. It's also cheaper to use 16x 1Gb chiplets on a double sided pcb than use 4x 4Gb chiplets single sided, when talking about large production numbers.
Was not really what i wanted to say , but though that higher capacity would have an impact on being single ranked vs dual ranked,not the speed, confused myself there.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: Jinxr