[SOLVED] If my riser cable

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
is 3.0 but my GPU is 4.0, should I force 3.0 pcie in the bios, or leave on auto?

Actually, I'm not even sure my riser is 3.0 because different sources say different things.

Is there a way for me to verify? Is it written somewhere on the riser cable?

This link says it's 3.0 whereas this one says it's 4.0.

And once I do know, should I force to whatever number, or leave on auto?

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
where did you source the case from? The first URL?
From aliexpress. Should I go there and check? I think I wasn't given any option to choose anything (I would have remembered that). But I'm afraid they might have skimped on the bio of the product on aliexpress and that whether it says 3.0 or 4.0, I won't feel comfortable to fully trust what it says. No way to check on the riser cable directly?

Maybe I can ask the vendor that sold it to me?

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
If your motherboard supports PCIE 4.0 and GPU is PCIE 4.0, then it simply will not work with PCIE 3.0 compatible riser cable.
You will have to set PCIE slot into PCIE 3.0 operation mode.
What will not work? You mean the GPU will not show an image on my monitor? But I've been using the PC just fine for a few days now. Does that mean riser is 4.0?

What will not work? You mean the GPU will not show an image on my monitor? But I've been using the PC just fine for a few days now. Does that mean riser is 4.0?
If your motherboard/cpu supports PCIE 4.0 and
GPU is PCIE 4.0 and installed into PCIE 4.0 slot with PCIE riser adapter and
you haven't forced PCIE slot into PCIE 3.0 operation, then
yes - it has to be PCIE 4.0 compatible riser cable (or else your pc simply would not work).

Reactions: nbartolo7

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
If your motherboard/cpu supports PCIE 4.0 and
GPU is PCIE 4.0 and installed into PCIE 4.0 slot with PCIE riser adapter and
you haven't forced PCIE slot into PCIE 3.0 operation, then
yes - it has to be PCIE 4.0 compatible riser cable (or else your pc simply would not work).
So, wait a second, does that mean that I can simply test in the bios by forcing 4.0 instead of leaving in auto mode, to see if signal works? If it does, does that mean my riser is 4.0?

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
Yes it shows the bus interface, but you may need to hit the ? to run a render test for it to show the full speed as they show slower during idle.
Thanks. It says that GPU supports 4.0 but is currently running on 3.0.

So, wait a second, does that mean that I can simply test in the bios by forcing pcie to 4.0 instead of leaving in auto mode, to see if monitor posts? If it does, does that mean my riser is 4.0?