[SOLVED] If one installs a graphics card, does it take precedence over the graphics part already in the computer?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 19, 2020
hello. I have an HP Elite 8200 SFF Desktop PC - Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz 8GB 500GB computer.

I just installed an AMD Radeon 109-C09057-00 V218 VER 7.1 PCIe Graphics Card. The card is configured for PCIe and there are sockets it fits in, but the mounting/metal part did not correspond to my computer's frame, so I just removed the mounting bracket and installed it. I carefully hooked the HDMI cable to it; it runs to my AV receiver.

BUT I got no signal - no sign of the computer having booted up.

The thing is, I kept the monitor hooked up to the old (VGA) socket. Does that no longer work? Was the old output "defeated" by the new graphics card?

That's my main question for now. Thanks for your help!

Bob

Solution
2 options:

- GPU with HDMI. HDMI cable to the Sony, HDMI from the Sony to the monitor. Sound plays from the speakers connected to the Sony, video on the monitor. This is how my setup is.

or

- Soundcard with Optical out. HDMI/Displayport/VGA for video to the monitor, and optical cable from the soundcard to the port on the Sony. Video is displayed on the monitor, audio comes out the speakers connected to the Sony.
Yes, I'm trying to get 7.1. By the way, my Sony STR DN1080 supposedly is equipped for Dolby Atmos
It has optical audio input. Use that. With appropriate sound card.

JtCFjEKr2KUPPbCzPve3n8-650-80.jpg

Can I adapt the GPU on the motherboard to HDMI, maybe using the DisplayPort socket? If not, could you give me an example of a dedicated GPU that would work? This one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006MBP7R2/ref=dp_cerb_2
is described as a "video graphics card". It has an HDMI slot but I personally would think, from that description, that there is no audio. Is that just inaccuracy in the description, or is this card incomplete for what I need?

That card should support Dolby Dts,TRUEMASTERHD and bitstream, the HD 5450 absolutely supports at least 5. 1 surround audio over hdmi.

The card you bought before with only a dvi socket didn't (never actually seen one of those before)

Running from dp to hdmi off your motherboard would only give you stereo (a limitation of the realtek chipset on your motherboard)

USAFRet

Titan
2 options:

- GPU with HDMI. HDMI cable to the Sony, HDMI from the Sony to the monitor. Sound plays from the speakers connected to the Sony, video on the monitor. This is how my setup is.

or

- Soundcard with Optical out. HDMI/Displayport/VGA for video to the monitor, and optical cable from the soundcard to the port on the Sony. Video is displayed on the monitor, audio comes out the speakers connected to the Sony.

Solution
Jul 19, 2020

USAFRet

Titan
Here is what appears to be the exact same device, just rebranded.
https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NBA-200U-External-Channel-Adapter/dp/B004HXGJ3S

A couple of the 1 Star comments are interesting:

No 7.1/5.1 from digital optical/SPDIF output!!!!
-------------------
high pitch whine
-------------------
For those who wants to buy it: please note that you will need an external (software or whatever) encoder if you want to connect it to a 5.1 or 7.1 system with a digital cable. If you don't have it, if you have just pure Windows, you will be able to output only 2 channels via SPDIF.

Jul 19, 2020
Here is what appears to be the exact same device, just rebranded.
https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NBA-200U-External-Channel-Adapter/dp/B004HXGJ3S

A couple of the 1 Star comments are interesting:

No 7.1/5.1 from digital optical/SPDIF output!!!!
-------------------
high pitch whine
-------------------
For those who wants to buy it: please note that you will need an external (software or whatever) encoder if you want to connect it to a 5.1 or 7.1 system with a digital cable. If you don't have it, if you have just pure Windows, you will be able to output only 2 channels via SPDIF.
Yeah, I pretty much came to my own conclusion that it was crap. But I'm thinking of this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EO6X7PG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&psc=1

What do you think?

justnopenope

Reputable
Jun 10, 2018
hello. I have an HP Elite 8200 SFF Desktop PC - Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz 8GB 500GB computer.

I just installed an AMD Radeon 109-C09057-00 V218 VER 7.1 PCIe Graphics Card. The card is configured for PCIe and there are sockets it fits in, but the mounting/metal part did not correspond to my computer's frame, so I just removed the mounting bracket and installed it. I carefully hooked the HDMI cable to it; it runs to my AV receiver.

BUT I got no signal - no sign of the computer having booted up.

The thing is, I kept the monitor hooked up to the old (VGA) socket. Does that no longer work? Was the old output "defeated" by the new graphics card?

That's my main question for now. Thanks for your help!

Bob
Was the GPU used? It could just be a dead port.
Also make sure, if necessary, that supplemental power cable(s) were attached if needed

Still think you'd be better off with a GPU with hdmi audio support.

That way you'll get 7.1 pcm, truehd and dts natively.

Optical output on windows 10 is limited to 5.1 compressed audio.

Something cheap like a gt710 will give you these audio capabilities.