[SOLVED] If waiting a couple months for GPU am I losing anything by buying CPU/MOBO now?

Jul 21, 2020
I know there is a lot of discussion right now on waiting or not waiting for a GPU, but my situation is a little different from the threads I could find.

A couple weeks ago my home was struck by lightening and my computer along with most electronics was shot. PSU and MOBO were fried (possibly everything else too?). This machine was my personal gaming computer and work computer. I want to wait for the new generation of GPU's but would love to a have a desktop back and get off this laptop for daily usage.

Is it a reasonable plan to get the MOBO/CPU core of my new computer now and upgrade the GPU later this year? In the meantime I would use the onboard video or cross my fingers that my old r7 250 still works (and is compatable?). Or would I be missing out on a significant but minor price drop/ upgrade potential (for my budget tier) by getting these parts up to 3 months earlier?

Buy now
CPU - i5-10600k
MOBO - ASUS Z490-A Prime
RAM of some type
All other needed peripherals

Buy later
GPU - $350 - $750 (depending on how dealing with insurance goes)

Solution
That actually sounds like a solid plan in my opinion: buy right now the stuff that you need that also isn't going to change much in a few months while saving the new GPU for when next gen cards come out.
Jul 21, 2020
Thanks for your 2 cents RTX 2080. I only look at these things once or twice a decade so it's nice to have people a little more familiar with the market to help me. Much appreciated!