Question If you had choice, what would you choose

Jul 18, 2024
Considering that i use my computer for simulation purposes and rendering tasks in houdini and blender+ video editing and other graphic apps. For the same amount of money i can upgrade my motherboard from gen3 to gen 4 pcieexpress ( direct communication to cpu + faster bandwith gpu) change my nvme to put a 3.5 faster nvme in speed with more space on disk 500 go to 2 tb) and switch 32 gb 3200 mhz ram cl16 to 3600 64 gb cl18 ram + add a nvidia 4070ti. Or i can not change nvme neither ram and motherboard and just get a 4080 super instead wich is 31% faster in rendering tasks in blender for example compare to 4070 ti .What would you do? Is cpu and global pc improvement speed a better choice?

My actual configuration Motherboard msi b540 a pro max. ( Pcie gen3) Crucial nvme 500 go Cpu 5950x ryzen Gpu 1060 6 gb 2666 mhz crucial basiltics cl 16 2 x16 2 tb hdd

Aimed configuration upgrade

Mpg b550 gaming plus msi(pci gen 4.0 ) Samsung 990 pro nvme 2 tb 4070 ti 3600 mhz ddr4 corsair vengeance 2x32

Or just 4080 super ( Maybe add an ssd because i lack disk space )

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think storage speed is a main concern.

Considering you are using a GTX 1060, anything from the 40 series would be a massive step up. 4070 Super is my usual mid-range recommendation, however, the 4070 Ti Super (16GB) might be a decent compromise. Still gets you the memory bandwidth and cache improvements and is cheaper than a 4080 Super.

Leaves room for a needed memory upgrade. 2666 is very slow for Ryzen. And since you do have a dual CCD chip, getting the infinity fabric speed up from 1333 to 1600/1800 will make the CPU run a lot better.

Should still be room for a storage upgrade too now that I think about it. I wouldn't necessarily go out of your way to swap drives or anything, just add more.

kanewolf

Titan
Considering that i use my computer for simulation purposes and rendering tasks in houdini and blender+ video editing and other graphic apps. For the same amount of money i can upgrade my motherboard from gen3 to gen 4 pcieexpress ( direct communication to cpu + faster bandwith gpu) change my nvme to put a 3.5 faster nvme in speed with more space on disk 500 go to 2 tb) and switch 32 gb 3200 mhz ram cl16 to 3600 64 gb cl18 ram + add a nvidia 4070ti. Or i can not change nvme neither ram and motherboard and just get a 4080 super instead wich is 31% faster in rendering tasks in blender for example compare to 4070 ti .What would you do? Is cpu and global pc improvement speed a better choice?

My actual configuration Motherboard msi b540 a pro max. ( Pcie gen3) Crucial nvme 500 go Cpu 5950x ryzen Gpu 1060 6 gb 2666 mhz crucial basiltics cl 16 2 x16 2 tb hdd

Aimed configuration upgrade

Mpg b550 gaming plus msi(pci gen 4.0 ) Samsung 990 pro nvme 2 tb 4070 ti 3600 mhz ddr4 corsair vengeance 2x32

Or just 4080 super ( Maybe add an ssd because i lack disk space )
How much of your current RAM is used? If you are using 16GB then upgrading RAM won't improve anything.

Jul 18, 2024
Thank you for your quick answer! I was able to get a deal for a 4070 ti at 650 euros so i might stick with it till 4070 ti super almost 900 euros. Not quite sure atm.

I was unsure if clock speed would make a difference or not in terms of ryzen speed since the architecture doesnt that advantages of high clock speed like 4000 mhz + does it?. What do you think performance gain could be in % changing from 2666 to 3600?

So maybe changing motherboard for a pcie gen4 is pointless and i should maybe juste take a big nvme for storage.
My concern was that i will use same disk for both assets usage , caching, rendering and apps+ os . But i have no idea how many bandwith it takes and if even a middle range nvme would never be saturated in terms of bandwith on pcie gen3.
That's why at first i was thinking of taking a samsung 990 pro on a pcie gen 4 board to take advantages of the bandwith considering many read write operation will be done on same disk.
2 tb crucial is 4000 mb/s spead 3000 write ( maybe less on gen 3) when samsung is 6000 more or less for both on gen 4

My actual nvme is 2200 in read and 1000 in writing. May be enough and just add a 2 tb ssd for cache renders assets etc? I also use Vst instruments for sound design, any difference if loaded from nvme compare to ssd?

Thank you

Jul 18, 2024
How much of your current RAM is used? If you are using 16GB then upgrading RAM won't improve anything.
Houdini simulation can sometimes take alot of ram . Pyro scenes can easily reach 32 gb
Side fx recommands at least 64 gb for fluid sims .
I have not yet experienced large simulation scenes since my pc was not enough powerfull.

Altho not rare to see people using 128 /254 gb++ for that.
So i thought it was goof idea to update both ram storage and speed

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you for your quick answer! I was able to get a deal for a 4070 ti at 650 euros so i might stick with it till 4070 ti super almost 900 euros. Not quite sure atm.
Not a bad price for the 4070 Ti. A little faster than the 4070 Super and has the same GPU inside.
I was unsure if clock speed would make a difference or not in terms of ryzen speed since the architecture doesnt that advantages of high clock speed like 4000 mhz + does it?. What do you think performance gain could be in % changing from 2666 to 3600?
Not the memory speed or capacity where you will see the most benefit. The memory clock and communications between the I/O die and the two CPU core dies on your CPU are matched to the memory speed. So your CPU is running slower than it could.

But if you are changing out the memory anyway, might as well get at least 2x16GB while going for 3600 CL18/CL16. Or 4x16GB at 3200.

So maybe changing motherboard for a pcie gen4 is pointless and i should maybe juste take a big nvme for storage.
My actual nvme is 2200 in read and 1000 in writing. May be enough and just add a 2 tb ssd for cache renders assets etc? I also use Vst instruments for sound design, any difference if loaded from nvme compare to ssd?

For the most part you aren't pushing 1000MB/s constantly, the drive will heat up and need to perform trim at some point anyway. A second drive would accomplish pretty much what you want. And that drive can certainly be faster. PCIe 3.0 4x goes up to 4000MB/s.

Crucial drive is a good choice.

Reactions: asktrue
Jul 18, 2024
Not a bad price for the 4070 Ti. A little faster than the 4070 Super and has the same GPU inside.

Not the memory speed or capacity where you will see the most benefit. The memory clock and communications between the I/O die and the two CPU core dies on your CPU are matched to the memory speed. So your CPU is running slower than it could.

But if you are changing out the memory anyway, might as well get at least 2x16GB while going for 3600 CL18/CL16. Or 4x16GB at 3200.

For the most part you aren't pushing 1000MB/s constantly, the drive will heat up and need to perform trim at some point anyway. A second drive would accomplish pretty much what you want. And that drive can certainly be faster. PCIe 3.0 4x goes up to 4000MB/s.

Crucial drive is a good choice.
Thanks alot. I will reconsider my choices and save money on the nvme and the motherboard

I only have one m.2 port on my actual motherboard sadly

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Ah, I see. Actually not a bad justification for a new motherboard. Also only dual slot memory.

I can't really judge Linux performance with your use case. While the OS has less overhead, it is doubtful you would see significant performance differences if the task is GPU heavy.