If you have purchased NAS devices within the last two years, what is your primary job?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

If you have purchased NAS devices within the last two years, what is your primary job?

• File and print server sharing

Votes: 48 15.3%
  • Virtualization

Votes: 10 3.2%
  • Back up and Disaster Recovery Protection

Votes: 81 25.8%
  • Surveillance

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • Multimedia Server and Storage

Votes: 95 30.3%
  • High Def Video

Votes: 26 8.3%
  • Other_____

Votes: 45 14.3%

• Total voters

buckybits

Reputable
May 22, 2014
Voted. It's a secondary backup area for us. We push backups to it and then from it to externals dropped to another site weekly

BravoLeader117

Reputable
May 22, 2014
Voted.
Using NAS as a multimedia server means having the ability to view media from any point in my house, which is, needless to say, fantastic and convenient.
On another note, hope I win the Seagate Backup drive!

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I originally worked as an IT admin after completing my Computing Degree, then later worked for a friend as a programmer and also web designer before going self employed in the same line. (honestly would have stayed working for my friend except for getting a Bad cold and developing a high sensitivity to tobacco smoke - in a work place where all but 2 people smoke....)

The places I worked all used tape back up as a primary backup and had central servers for everything else, leaving little need to a NAS....

But I have set up a family NAS in my fathers house and use BT Synch to back up data to it for various family members.

Very Happy with this solution :)

jedyrokz

Reputable
May 23, 2014
Basically Multimedia files nowadays they are mostly used for Entertainment and why to redownload the whole movie or some TV Episodes again when we can have them in our NAS devices

Keener

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
Voted!

I use NAS for various reasons, but the main would be multimedia and storage of my personal and work files.