Question IGD vs PEG [multi-monitoring] for one monitor output?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelska

Prominent
Oct 29, 2022
I've a vga ported monitor on a computer that has a vga port on the mobo and am not sure whether im suppose to boot to igd or PEG[multimonitor]. I have noticed PEG is default in the bios of the motherboard and to get it to boot to the motherboard you have to switch it out to multimonitoring. I used to switch it to IGD completely. it still works and runs both graphics cards. the dedicated and the onboard. but I am confused because is there any specific difference? Im aware in peg multi i can now plug a secondary one in if i want. But if i plan on only using one monitor would it be better to just set it to IGD?

My original idea was I was going to plug two cords into the monitor. But, after some messing around in windows it doesn't work to the same output together to reduce latency or anything like that it just tries to output both signals onto to seperate monitors. So, thats out. even tho it would reduce latency a bit? not sure. thanks.

If you have a discreet graphics card installed then the primary display adapter should always be set to PEG, which is PCI express graphics. Unless you specifically have the iGPU disabled, it will automatically detect and enable the integrated graphics so there is no reason for that to be set as the primary adapter.

nelska

Prominent
Oct 29, 2022
If you have a discreet graphics card installed then the primary display adapter should always be set to PEG, which is PCI express graphics. Unless you specifically have the iGPU disabled, it will automatically detect and enable the integrated graphics so there is no reason for that to be set as the primary adapter.
When i put it together in the bios peg was selected and i couldnt even boot from the mobo until i booted to peg and switched the option to igd. The integrated graphics card was completely disabled by default im assuming because its a "gaming computer"

I have no need to boot to peg. itself. The graphics card still helps with any intensive games i am running. I am not going for any benchmarks i dont need to do so. ect. I might get a secondary monitor for it exclusively. for stuff like gsync that just doesnt work over the igpu. peg multi monitor seems like something you would use if you want to use the gpu to display multiple screens at a time while you sit at the main monitor plugged into the mobo. like when you see the extra tvs in the background doing weather. ect. ect ect

nelska

Prominent
Oct 29, 2022
What are your full hardware specs including graphics card model and exactly which video outputs you are using on both the graphics card and the motherboard?
i7 6700. 1050ti. i have a 60hz monitor plugged into the mobo via vga cable. I bought it a freesync 240hz gaming monitor except my mobo doesnt have display port and my cpu doesnt do 1920x1080 at 240hz. I could use both except I am saving the monitor and plan to start over with a motherboard that supports displayport. and a processor that supports 240hz. as for now.

I also need a secondary monitor of the same model to “freesync” on from the GPU.

What is the model of your 1050 ti and why aren't you using that rather than the output from your motherboard? Even that 1050 ti has like 6.5x the performance of the iGPU in the i7-6700. There is literally no way you should be using the CPU graphics with that graphics card installed. Not even if you are using multiple monitors unless you are gaming on multiple 1080p displays AND want to run another additional monitor just for browser tabs etc.

And mostly, it's the motherboard that will determine that if you are using the iGPU. If the board has displayport version 1.4 or higher it should support it. If the board has HDMI version 2.0, then it should support 240hz.

nelska

Prominent
Oct 29, 2022
What is the model of your 1050 ti and why aren't you using that rather than the output from your motherboard? Even that 1050 ti has like 6.5x the performance of the iGPU in the i7-6700. There is literally no way you should be using the CPU graphics with that graphics card installed. Not even if you are using multiple monitors unless you are gaming on multiple 1080p displays AND want to run another additional monitor just for browser tabs etc.

And mostly, it's the motherboard that will determine that if you are using the iGPU. If the board has displayport version 1.4 or higher it should support it. If the board has HDMI version 2.0, then it should support 240hz.

you have to enable hardware accelerated gpu scheduling through windows 10 and it schedules the processes on the gpu and then sends it through the chipset bridge to the cpu to be processed. its a caching system that falls from the igpu to the gpu. most games i am running will give about anything about 50% of usage from the cpu to the gpu. games like runescape and csgo usually are running at 50% processor usage 50% igpu usage and 50% gpu usage. The idea of what are you are saying is a bit outdated. most newer mobos can support the speed transfer. without a hitch going off.

nelska

Prominent
Oct 29, 2022
After tests I found igd isn't the way to go. PEG multimonitoring is with IGD enabled. You dont want to boot to a less superior monitor/display port. ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.