News Illegal Cryptocurrency Farm Was Also Mining FIFA 21 Characters

I keep forgetting how popular football really is being from north america... it's as if the sport doesn't really exist here, but for the rest of the world it's pretty much the only sport that exists in any meaningful way

I keep forgetting how popular football really is being from north america... it's as if the sport doesn't really exist here, but for the rest of the world it's pretty much the only sport that exists in any meaningful way

That's true but "soccer" as we call it in America is percieved as more of a starter sport for kids and never taken seriously beyond grade school into college or professional sports (just ask the NCAA or pro-soccer sports leagues about sponsorship and donor scholarship revenue and major network broadcast or cable TV time). We Americans have always enjoyed hands on sports (basketball, football, and baseball specifically) as our pastime sports. Soccer to us just doesn't garner interest because - and let's face it - it is rather boring to watch. Kick a ball up and down a field for an hour before even one score happens.

This means not only is it more boring to watch by American eyes, but it is also more limiting in terms of what talent can be on the team. If you have good coordinated feet great! If you don't have great throwing or catching arms and hands, then no problem! The American big three sports allow a wider range of people with different body types and athletic skills to still be top players in a given sport as well as specialize in their player position (football specifically like where a defensive linebacker can't throw a ball very accurately if intercepted). So that encourages wider participation, and a more interesting spectator experience. Soccer just doesn't do it for us - and the throwing of games for a fake injury will piss us off forever.

And yes, I know I am speaking in general for an entire nation. But the statistics for soccer of viewership, sponsorship and collegiate scholarship money, and TV air time speak for themselves.

Reactions: gg83

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
I know people who drop at least $2,000 on MLB lootboxes each year a new game comes out. Then they trade the cards for real money or something like that.

Geezer760

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
That's true but "soccer" as we call it in America is percieved as more of a starter sport for kids and never taken seriously beyond grade school into college or professional sports (just ask the NCAA or pro-soccer sports leagues about sponsorship and donor scholarship revenue and major network broadcast or cable TV time). We Americans have always enjoyed hands on sports (basketball, football, and baseball specifically) as our pastime sports. Soccer to us just doesn't garner interest because - and let's face it - it is rather boring to watch. Kick a ball up and down a field for an hour before even one score happens.

This means not only is it more boring to watch by American eyes, but it is also more limiting in terms of what talent can be on the team. If you have good coordinated feet great! If you don't have great throwing or catching arms and hands, then no problem! The American big three sports allow a wider range of people with different body types and athletic skills to still be top players in a given sport as well as specialize in their player position (football specifically like where a defensive linebacker can't throw a ball very accurately if intercepted). So that encourages wider participation, and a more interesting spectator experience. Soccer just doesn't do it for us - and the throwing of games for a fake injury will piss us off forever.

And yes, I know I am speaking in general for an entire nation. But the statistics for soccer of viewership, sponsorship and collegiate scholarship money, and TV air time speak for themselves.
I used to be a big "Football" fan back in the 90s, but now days I hate all sports, it's all boring Football, soccor, baseball, basketball, hokey, golf it's all the same thing over and over watching a bunch of guys move a ball from one end to the other, "Like wow yeaaaa, yippie, hooray!" We should be more concentrated, and pay teachers more money, because sports players are way over payed , and have better educated teachers, so our kids the future of this world is a better place for them and the earth, so that means a better education for our children is a better investment and more important imo, than any sport. Education is key for a better future and our children's future so that maybe they can hopefully fix the big mess this world is in now. but that's just my opinion.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
If this is happening with PS4, then I would expect it's also happening with PS5. We can rage about crypto miners screwing up the GPU market, and now we can rage about EA farmers screwing up the console market.

brian532

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
When reading this all I could think was the real thieves are game developers who make a game with a "loot box" you have to buy with real money or grind with a %1 chance of getting what you want. You pay $60 for a game and you either have to spend more money or do boring repetitive tasks for a %1 chance to get a good character? I didn't know you could market online gambling to kids.

Reactions: jepeman
I used to be a big "Football" fan back in the 90s, but now days I hate all sports, it's all boring Football, soccor, baseball, basketball, hokey, golf it's all the same thing over and over watching a bunch of guys move a ball from one end to the other, "Like wow yeaaaa, yippie, hooray!" We should be more concentrated, and pay teachers more money, because sports players are way over payed , and have better educated teachers, so our kids the future of this world is a better place for them and the earth, so that means a better education for our children is a better investment and more important imo, than any sport. Education is key for a better future and our children's future so that maybe they can hopefully fix the big mess this world is in now. but that's just my opinion.

It's different if you actually play the sport.

My college's football team was fully self funded from ticket and tv sales and even had a surplus of funds for the last several years.

What the football team brings to the college is BRAND RECOGNITION. It's marketing for colleges to have a football team that actually wins and people can root for. College's today are all about brand recognition. Think about it. When a prospective high school student is looking at schools, most of the time their first choice is a school with brand recognition. Not always what makes the most sense financially or academically. That's why all these kids coming out of school today are $80k+ in debt when they could have gone to a cheaper school for the same degree.

TRENDING THREADS