[SOLVED] im about to buy this used Drive for a good Price is it good ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilian242ra

Prominent
Apr 6, 2019
im just worry about the seek time performance and they throughput performance
can you please take a look at smart and tell me if it good or not thanks
kdgb5DJ.png

Solution
Buying a used drive, of any kind, you are at the mercy of the sellers ignorance. Just how old is the drive really. Why would someone feel the need to dump a 4Tb Premium drive like the Black, those aren't cheap to buy. How much heat abuse did it suffer. How much wear and tear did it receive. Was it a server drive in a home built NAS where 2 out of 4 drives have already failed. Was it the primary drive for a gamer and has excessive writes at the start of the drive. Was it part of a pc that got burned up by a cheap, bad psu and the owner is ditching everything that seems to work, for now. How much usable life is really left in it before the sectors start going bad.

You don't know. You'll never know. You take it on faith that the prior...

lilian242ra

Prominent
Apr 6, 2019
used drive.
No one can say without knowing what drive, and how much $$.

For me, a "good price" for a used drive would be around $5.
thanks for answering it is a 4tb Western digital black
but my question is
do you see anything wrong with the smart data of the drive ?
like for example seek time performance is 18 is that good ?

kanewolf

Titan
thanks for answering it is a 4tb Western digital black
but my question is
do you see anything wrong with the smart data of the drive ?
like for example seek time performance is 18 is that good ?
Hard drives can fail AT ANY TIME. How important is the data you are planning on putting on that drive? Do you have a good backups procedure?
Putting game files that can be downloaded again is one use case. Putting family photos on it is another.

lilian242ra

Prominent
Apr 6, 2019
Hard drives can fail AT ANY TIME. How important is the data you are planning on putting on that drive? Do you have a good backups procedure?
Putting game files that can be downloaded again is one use case. Putting family photos on it is another.
I will be putting important data on it but with a backup on my external hard drive
but my question is
do you see anything wrong with the smart data ?
thank you

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Buying a used drive, of any kind, you are at the mercy of the sellers ignorance. Just how old is the drive really. Why would someone feel the need to dump a 4Tb Premium drive like the Black, those aren't cheap to buy. How much heat abuse did it suffer. How much wear and tear did it receive. Was it a server drive in a home built NAS where 2 out of 4 drives have already failed. Was it the primary drive for a gamer and has excessive writes at the start of the drive. Was it part of a pc that got burned up by a cheap, bad psu and the owner is ditching everything that seems to work, for now. How much usable life is really left in it before the sectors start going bad.

You don't know. You'll never know. You take it on faith that the prior owner treated the drive like a Princess, when reality is more commonly it's been abused like a red-headed stepchild.

For $50 I'd rather have a brand new, factory warranted WD Blue 1Tb than a used 4TB Black any day unless I knew the prior owner personally and more importantly, knew his PC.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.