[SOLVED] I'm about to start my first build, and was wondering if all of these parts are compatible

Solution
Welcome to the forums my friend!

The parts you have listed are compatible, however I would consider these:
  • The PSU you have listed is poor quality, and the one thing you should never go cheap on is the PSU! i highly recommend you read this guide and pay attention to point 1: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/ - the rest of the points may help you in your part picking also!
  • You have listed an external HDD, not an internal one, so you'll want an internal HDD for your system.
  • No system nowadays is without an SSD, I highly recommend you get one of these.
  • Have you considered jumping to the latest series of Ryzen?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

The parts you have listed are compatible, however I would consider these:
  • The PSU you have listed is poor quality, and the one thing you should never go cheap on is the PSU! i highly recommend you read this guide and pay attention to point 1: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/ - the rest of the points may help you in your part picking also!
  • You have listed an external HDD, not an internal one, so you'll want an internal HDD for your system.
  • No system nowadays is without an SSD, I highly recommend you get one of these.
  • Have you considered jumping to the latest series of Ryzen?

Solution

4745454b

Titan
Two issues i see. First, i can't find a review on the psu. Or any good photos. Or info. You are better off using something else. Second, i wouldn't use an external hdd as your only drive. I'm not even sure you can boot from usb all the time like that. Get an internal one. Otherwise for an intro/lower end build you are on the right track.

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Plenty, just remember that I will only ever recommend good quality. People often get shocked about paying more for a PSU, but in reality, it should be the last thing to go cheap on!

Consider these:
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($61.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $61.98 - 10 YEAR WARRANTY

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.75 @ OutletPC)
Total: $64.75 - 7 YEAR WARRANTY

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $99.99 - 10 YEAR WARRANTY

Additional 100W for not much more
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($79.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $79.90 - 10 YEAR WARRANTY

And then there's what is usually the most budget friendly that's still decent enough quality to recommend - it isn't as good as the above (thus much lower warranty), but it's decent enough:
Power Supply:
Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $64.99 - 5 YEAR WARRANTY (but as you can see is not as cheap at the current moment)

IMO, the no brainer choice for current price above is the Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold - excellent quality, and a decent price for it - as it must be on offer as it's usually more.. The RMx are fantastic too, but much more at the moment - obviously this depends on location.