[SOLVED] I'M AT A CROSS ROADS. FSR/DLSS 2.0 4K GAMING?

Jul 30, 2021
Hey all,

I'm at a cross roads with what specs I should pick with future proofing in mind to allow me to play ultra/ 4k games but still provide high fps for shooters.

Below I will list two builds which I'm in two minds about although open for recommendations on specs.

Before I paste the builds, two things I should point out which are factors too.
  1. I am looking to get a 4k 3840 x 2160p 144Hz monitor. I can provide further specs if needed.
  2. AMD FSR & Nvidia DLSS 2.0

I know FSR is incredibly new across limited games and DLSS 2.0 is across multiple games. The 'but' here is that, FSR is nearly as good at DLSS 2.0 for AMD's first try. Yes, limited games but I'm future proofing here too so one day, maybe 9-12 months (hopefully) this will not be the case.

Build 1
Processor (CPU)

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.7GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® CROSSHAIR VIII HERO WIFI (DDR4, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX/SLI) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
16GB AMD RADEON™ RX 6800 XT - HDMI, DP - DX® 12
1st Storage Drive
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 5000MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Build 2
Processor (CPU)

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X Sixteen Core CPU (3.5GHz-4.7GHz/73MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® CROSSHAIR VIII HERO WIFI (DDR4, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX/SLI) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP. LHR
(I don't think 3080Ti is required although happy to hear thoughts).
1st Storage Drive
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 5000MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

The reason build 2 has a Ryzen 9 is due to cost. By selecting the 1080, the price is reduced. So to keep it the same price because I'm happy to pay that, I was going to upgrade the CPU to neutral out the cost.

With all of this said, is it worth going for Build 1, wait for FSR to be compatible across multiple games and enjoy lower FPS at 4k for the time being or, go build 2, enjoy the 4k high fps now whilst I sit back and watch AMD progress?
From the reviews I've seen on Youtube regarding GPUs. The 3080 is better in FPS not including DLSS 2.0 than the 6800 XT at 4k resolution. So now I'm thinking, what is the 3080 like with DLSS 2.0 on if its already performing higher than the 6800 XT at 4k.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Solution
FSR works with NVIDIA, so if you want both, then go with NVIDIA.

This^ and also, Ryzen 5 5600X is as fast as the 5800X, if you are not doing lots, and lots, of multitasking, you can save some money there. The Asus Tuf Gaming X570-plus wifi will be as good as the mobo you put on the list, but cheaper.

Been able to choose Ryzen 5xxx series, I would really go with list number 2 with a R5 5600X instead.

Finally if you are talking about future proof and 4K then the RTX 3080TI and 3090 are also good choices. If you ask me, theres no real good 4K "native" GPU yet (with native I mean no FSR or DLSS) Yes RX 6xxx and RTX 3xxx are decent 4K cards, but for me not enough to play 4K high refresh rate (unless you use cheat mode with...
FSR works with NVIDIA, so if you want both, then go with NVIDIA.

This^ and also, Ryzen 5 5600X is as fast as the 5800X, if you are not doing lots, and lots, of multitasking, you can save some money there. The Asus Tuf Gaming X570-plus wifi will be as good as the mobo you put on the list, but cheaper.

Been able to choose Ryzen 5xxx series, I would really go with list number 2 with a R5 5600X instead.

Finally if you are talking about future proof and 4K then the RTX 3080TI and 3090 are also good choices. If you ask me, theres no real good 4K "native" GPU yet (with native I mean no FSR or DLSS) Yes RX 6xxx and RTX 3xxx are decent 4K cards, but for me not enough to play 4K high refresh rate (unless you use cheat mode with DLSS and FSR)

Solution
Jul 30, 2021
Thanks RodroX!

I wouldn't be doing any major multitasking so 5600X may be a good shout. Plus saving money, can't complain there.

Going with what you said, regarding the mobo, I'm debating between the
Tuf X570-Plus vs Strix X570F.

I believe I made my decision too with the GPU, the 3080 Ti sounds like it'll set me up for awhile but I cant ignore the 3080. I'm trying to understand the real performance benefit between both!

Final question, regarding cooling, I'm looking at the H115i Pro XT, do you know if that'll be okay for this build?

Thanks!

Thanks RodroX!

I wouldn't be doing any major multitasking so 5600X may be a good shout. Plus saving money, can't complain there.

Going with what you said, regarding the mobo, I'm debating between the
Tuf X570-Plus vs Strix X570F.
Both of them are pretty good boards (far as I remember they sahre the same VRM setup), you will find diferent ports, and options. For example WiFi on the TUF (wifi model, theres one without it), but not on the STRIX-F.

I believe I made my decision too with the GPU, the 3080 Ti sounds like it'll set me up for awhile.
Sounds good. The RX 6800XT, and 6900XT are also awesome, but they don't support DLSS2. No one knows what will happend in the future, perhaps developers choose to add FSR and no DLSS 2, or both.

Final question, regarding cooling, I'm looking at the H115i Pro XT, do you know if that'll be okay for this build?
Yes, it should be more than enough for a 65Watts CPU like the R5 5600X. Should be able to deal with any of the current AMD 105watts CPUs too.

Thanks!

Reactions: RKC1211
Jul 30, 2021
Perfect, thank you RodroX! I appreciate the responses you've provided! I'll amend my build accordingly :) Definitely a lot of money saved! Much appreciated!!

Perfect, thank you RodroX! I appreciate the responses you've provided! I'll amend my build accordingly :) Definitely a lot of money saved! Much appreciated!!

No problem, right now there are tons of hardware choices to buy (if you have enough cash) to build a very awesome gaming PC.

Just to be fair with everyone:

Gigabyte and MSI also have some very good perfomance/cost motherboards (some even better than Asus, but they all have diferents ports and extra options). I only wrote about Asus because it was the brand you listed.

As for CPUs, intel 10th gen are rock solid choices for gaming, and the 11th gen i5 11400 is a very, very awesome price/performance candidate too.

Cheers!

CPU:
I would under no circumstances buy a Ryzen 3000 series CPU. The Ryzen 3950 is a CPU designed for productivity rather than gaming and all Ryzen 3000 series CPUs have poor single core performance; the cheapest Ryzen 5000 series CPU will give you better gaming performance than the most expensive Ryzen 3000 series CPU. I'd buy either a Ryzen 5600x or a Ryzen 5800x.

GPU:
The 3080 Ti has roughly 10-15% better rasterization performance than the 3080 and also has 12 GB of RAM instead of 10 GB which means that the 3080 Ti will age better due to having enough VRAM for high resolution textures as games get more and more demanding.

As for FSR vs DLSS, much ink has been spilled saying just how amazing it is of AMD to make FSR available for both AMD and Nvidia GPUs, but fundamentally FSR is just AMD contrast aware sharpening with a few more bells and whistles; there is a very noticable difference between how well FSR and DLSS work and I personally would rather use a more exclusive feature that works well than an open feature that doesn't work as well.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Yeah if you're planning to 4k gaming you'd def benefit from the 12 gb of vram the ti version offers in the long run opposed to the 10 of the "vanilla" 3080. And since you'd be dropping 1.5k on a graphic's card i don't think you'd wanna upgrade it in like 2 years, right?