I'm building a new system but want to just use the same hard drive with out reinstalling windows Will it be okay?

Jul 27, 2018
So I'm Building a new computer but I don't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling windows so i planned on doing a windows rest and basically have fresh windows on then removing the hard drive and putting it in the new system the only difference in the systems is the motherboard I'm going from a Asus Tuf z370 Pro gaming to a MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON. (the case and power supply will be different but i don't expect this to effect the hardware) Otherwise the Cpu, Gpu, Ram, Drives, Are the Exact same. So will I have to just use the repair to and scan for Hardware changes and hope it detects is and fixes it by itself or am i gonna go threw Boot loop H*LL? I've don't this once before but ended up reinstalling windows and still had issues but i figured because its just one single component that's different id be okay. Any help would be Great thank you!!

Changing a mainboard will present a new system to the Windows activation servers once you internet and will be unactivated ( Is that a word ?) So check out the details before you swap but the best approach is to link your present activation/license to a microsoft account.

See this:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

Beginning with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, you can link your Microsoft account (MSA) with the Windows 10 digital license on your device. The new feature allows you to access the Activation Troubleshooter quickly to re-activate your free upgrade copy of Windows 10.

In this Windows 10 guide, we'll guide you through the process to link together your Microsoft Account and digital license, and the steps to use the Activation Troubleshooter to re-activate the operating system.

Jul 27, 2018

Jul 27, 2018

So basically i should wait to link my account or can i already link it? and i kinda understand what your saying it will basically show up as a completely new system to windows or Microsoft and that could cause issues depending on the current state/uses of my key.

You should link the present licence/activation with a MS account before installing a new board. Once online with the new board, if the OS shows as un activated, use the steps outlined above to activate it.

USAFRet

Titan
NOTE: For anyone else reading this...

"going from a Asus Tuf z370 Pro gaming to a MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON"
This is a minor change. Win 10 has a good possibility of actually working with the new hardware.

Anything more different...be prepared for a full reinstall.

TRENDING THREADS