Question I'm disappointed with the GPU on my new build so I'm looking for alternative suggestions ?

Notreallysure

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2016
I just put together a new computer.
It's built on the Crosshair VIII Dark Hero. It's currently with the Ryzen 9 5950x cpu, 128GB ram, RTX 4060 Ti Eagle & and 850w Corsair PSU.

I'm sending the RTX back to where it came from. It's just not working right on a software level or a hardware level.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a better fit for the above components?
I was considering something a bit more pricey than the Ti so I get some quality, maybe going with AMD this time. Would the RX 7600 XT be over doing it? Is it a good gpu?

a "fit" for the system doesn't really apply.
the determination for what graphics card one should choose depends on what exactly they will be doing with it.

if gaming;
what specific games,
what resolution,
what in-game settings would like to be used,
what fps range would you be expecting.

if home/work projects;
what type of rendering,
what size projects,
the speed at which specific projects are expected to compile, etc.
850w Corsair PSU
if this is a higher quality unit, 850w doesn't tell anything in relation to quality;

then you also have to stick to within this limit of 850w max recommended.
that can also lower your choices for higher-end cards.

If you’re gaming at 1440p, I’d make a suggestion for an rx 6800. Newegg has those for about $375. If you want to spend more I’d look at the 7900gre. Could also look at the 7800xt for 500. Though the 7900 gre goes for only about 50 more. After that you can always move up to the 7900 xt or xtx. In the nvidia side there’s the 4070 and up but I feel like amd is better value personally. Unless ray tracing is a big factor for you.

Depending what psu you have, I’ve got a Corsair rm850x and I’m comfortable with my 6800xt on that. Not sure I’d push much higher. So maybe the 7800xt or 7900gre is a good fit depending what model psu.

Tom's gpu hierarchy chart gives you a relative performance comparison:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
A 7600XT would be comparable performance.

To do better, look for something nearer the top of the performance band.
Something like RTX4070ti super or RX7900XT.

Fwiw, I find that those who upgrade graphics do better if they stick to their previous bmaker, either Nvidia or amd.
The graphics driver environments are different.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I just put together a new computer.
It's built on the Crosshair VIII Dark Hero. It's currently with the Ryzen 9 5950x cpu, 128GB ram, RTX 4060 Ti Eagle & and 850w Corsair PSU.

I'm sending the RTX back to where it came from. It's just not working right on a software level or a hardware level.

I was considering something a bit more pricey than the Ti so I get some quality, maybe going with AMD this time. Would the RX 7600 XT be over doing it? Is it a good gpu?

What exactly was the problem? While any GPU can be *disappointing*, if it's not working right, then something else may be going on that will continue to be a problem with any new GPU.

Notreallysure

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2016
Sorry for the lack of information.
The PSU is a Corsair RM850x Gold. The 4060 TI technically works but the Gigabyte Control Center isn't working, the RGB on the card doesn't work (not that I want the lights but it may be an indicator of other problems), the support website for Gigabyte doesn't work and I'm just not feeling it after so many small problems cropping up.

I'm going to be using this PC for multiple tasks such as software and game development, playing games and music production.
1080p is all I have ever gamed at and I'm okay with that but I am sort of curious about 1440 or 4k games but it's not entirely important.

If I go with the latest RX GPU, would I have to maybe bump up the wattage with a more robust PSU? 1000w maybe? I'm still within the grace period to exchange hardware so the time is now to get it right.

Thanks for all your replies!

The PSU is a Corsair RM850x Gold. The 4060 TI technically works but the Gigabyte Control Center isn't working, the RGB on the card doesn't work (not that I want the lights but it may be an indicator of other problems), the support website for Gigabyte doesn't work and I'm just not feeling it after so many small problems cropping up.

I'm going to be using this PC for multiple tasks such as software and game development, playing games and music production.
1080p is all I have ever gamed at and I'm okay with that but I am sort of curious about 1440 or 4k games but it's not entirely important.

If I go with the latest RX GPU, would I have to maybe bump up the wattage with a more robust PSU? 1000w maybe? I'm still within the grace period to exchange hardware so the time is now to get it right.

4070 super or 4070 ti super its fine on that psu
thats if you want to go to 1080p or 1440p

if you want full frames and care about zero raytracing

rx 6800 if you can find it is still a solid choice

rx 7900 gre is better.

You may need to upgrade CPU first, it's very important for 1080p gaming. R5 5600x/5700x would be leap above 1700.