I'm getting a new motherboard and didnt know if i had to reinstall Windows 10 OS

wferrante09

Honorable
Oct 30, 2018
I'm upgrading my hardware including a motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM, and an SSD and was wondering since I'm getting a new motherboard, will i have to re-buy/ reinstall Windows 10? My current brand mobo is Asus and the new one is MSI

Astralv

Distinguished
Every motherboard uses specific drivers. I can't tell you exactly how much different for example Chipset is or any other driver- if it is the same manufacturer, you can try to compare the file names on your old drivers list with file names on the new motherboard drivers list. If it is different manufacturer, I would reinstall Windows and install new drivers. Register your Windows with your account. When reinstalling, you can try to add the same serial, but it may say that it was already used. You can use "I don't have it" option, install, then loig in to your Microsoft account and it may recognize you. Yeah... I am afraid it may want you to unregister your first computer- there was success with using phone support for registration. It considers it new system if you change 3 elements.

wferrante09

Honorable
Oct 30, 2018

ohh, ok so i install Windows 10 with the old hardware i have now, then install new components?

Wrong.

You install your new hardware, boot up your Windows 10 installation media (USB, DVD) and install Windows with all the new hardware in place.

wferrante09

Honorable
Oct 30, 2018

Ok, so i would need to buy a key then right? Because I'm just getting parts

wferrante09

Honorable
Oct 30, 2018

Yeah, my Microsoft acct. is already linked to Windows 10 just checked it. It says, "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft Account" and then once i install the new hardware i would just have to troubleshoot it according to the website

wferrante09

Honorable
Oct 30, 2018

ok thanks, one more question...Will i lose the stuff that's currently on my desktop or will i have to backup everything up

wferrante09

Honorable
Oct 30, 2018

Well, im just worried about my games there all on my steam account so will i have to reinstall all the games or just steam

wferrante09

Honorable
Oct 30, 2018

Ok great, and what about the apps on my desktop would i just copy and paste it to an external drive just like the steam games?
And would my whole HDD drive get wiped?

wferrante09

Honorable
Oct 30, 2018

When you say normal programs, can you give some examples?
Like Google Chrome and Anti Virus

wferrante09

Honorable
Oct 30, 2018

Ok i got you that's what I thought just wanted to clarify