I'm getting DNS leaks with my VPN, what should I do?

ChaoticWolf

Honorable
I keep getting DNS leaks while using my VPN on my PC and I try everything but nothing works to stop it. The VPN I'm using is kind of uncommon, not uncommon but I'd say not really out there and not brought up but seems okay and decent.

I did a test at dnsleaktest.com and I keep getting the domains on the lists some from my ISP, and some other ones different, lots of no dns ones. I've done everything to try and stop it.
I've changed the DNS server on my internet connection to OpenDNS or Google's DNS Server, flushed the dns, switched internet browsers, but nothing seems to work.

I'm always most of the time connected to a Luxembourg server on the VPN, and even when I choose different country servers, it still won't work. The dns leak website says that if you don't get any domains that are for your VPN, then you're getting DNS leaks. I get random ones, and sometimes my ISP domains don't even come up, but it still doesn't look right on the list.
I don't know what to do at this point. Not sure if it's my VPN or just my devices.

Seankay

Respectable
Jul 20, 2016
You can try once with Comodo Secure DNS (preferred: 8.26.56.26, alternate: 8.20.247.20) if Google DNS and Open DNS haven't worked for you. Also, there are some services which have this feature of securing your connection from DNS Leaks. Not sure if your provider has it or not. You should ask their support people if they have such feature then activating that might help you out. Here's what this option looks like on my VPN: http://imgur.com/gallery/LNzRj

BTW I think it is your VPN, not your devices!

The way that always works is to run the VPN on the router and not the PC. On the PC you set the DNS to something other than your router even though in most cases you do not have to do that.

Your problem is the VPN client. It is allowing data to bypass the vpn. Be aware html5 can do this also on come vpn clients. Also win10 also bypasses many vpn clients when it is talking to microsoft tracking and update stuff.

If your router does not have vpn but it has firewall you could limit traffic from your pc to only go to the vpn site. This might break things but you would then know when the vpn client was allowing traffic to bypass.

ChaoticWolf

Honorable

I think I already tried the comodo dns, but it didn't seem to work. I think I can try again though.

Seankay

Respectable
Jul 20, 2016

Do let me know if it works. Also confirm about the secure DNS option from your provider!

ChaoticWolf

Honorable
Well, I decided to use the Comodo DNS. I don't even know if I tried the Comodo DNS, I probably didn't and just thought I did, but oh well. So I used it, and after a while of usage, I do some DNS leak tests every now and then and I will say that the results look better than before.

I get nothing related to my ISP or country and they seem somewhat related to my DNS or VPN or something. It's much better having certain DNS's pop up other than ones from your ISP or country.
I always get my DNS leak results back with the ISP's as Google, and sometimes one or two as Hurricane Electric
The city can be the US, Belgium, Netherlands, and the city as Mountain View and Brussels.
I did my DNS leak tests on dnsleaktest.com. and hidester.com, and they both bring back similar results.
The results can also show the IP, and they're different from my VPN or actual IP, so I guess that's okay
Hostname sometimes shows none, maybe shows one for one DNS
I also notice that if I use Internet Explorer for DNS leak tests on dnsleaktest.com, it'll show
all the other normal DNS results, and if I use Firefox, it'll show the same results, but sometimes
with the no-dns-yet.co.uk (something like that) dns, from the United Kingdom. But I don't think that's a huge
problem, and it shouldn't be
And it also shows on ipleak.net all the uk dns's
And then after that, when I switched from IE, to Firefox, then IE again, on the dnsleaktest.com website,
it showed the no-dns-yet once again
As long as it's not related to my ISP, it's good right?
And then I get a OpenDNS dns result in one or two of them, but I'm sure I'm using Comodo DNS
all of these no dns domains could just be from the way I have my firefox privacy addons and settings tuned up
i still get good results, right?

Here are some screenshots of the DNS leak results, they do look much better than before:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/6q89pqbse8t3sn4/DNS+Leak+test+results.zip

Ben Harley

Reputable
Dec 21, 2016
You probably are not using a good vpn. There are a lot of things to consider while going for a good paid one. Try reading up on streaming vpn read up on various features. DNS leak is common with VPNS. Only a few handful of em does not leak DNS or anything. Try that!

Oct 3, 2018
DNS leaks can be cause by various reasons, it can be because of improperly configured network, transparent DNS Proxies, etc. To prevent this, you can use a VPN with DNS Leak Protection with a feature that will monitor your DNS requests to make sure that they're going through the VPN instead of directly to your ISP. Also, try checking the link below to know the possible causes and solution to DNS leakage.
https://thebestvpn.com/dns-leaks-causes-fixes/