Im going to buy 144hz monitor

Shwengy

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
Hey guys, i want to buy 144hz monitor and i want to know if it help with ''ghosting'' when i can only get 60fps in games.. Thanks for replies!

Solution
I wouldn't exclude VA panels, especially compared with lower end IPS, VA can really show it's strength

screens I'd recommend are

BenQ VZ2470H (sub 200$)
Dell Ultrasharp (sub 250$)
Philips B-line 241B7QPTEB / 241B7QPJKEB / 241B7QPJEB (sub 300$, differences between those models is additional ports like mini-hdmi & number of USB 3 ports)

anything between 1-5ms is fine. unless you got jedi-like vision it's below your physical awareness anyway.
blb is a problem, but more with gamer focused brands like Acer or Asus
if you want the best picture, I suggest going for professional use focused screens like the ones I suggested
as for the games you're playing: pubg, cod "favour" faster panels, the others profit off the better looks of an IPS/VA...

Shwengy

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
I think so too.. i just want to know if it help with ghosting somehow, because i have BenQ rl2455hm and it have too much ghosting i think, so can u recommend me some monitor with almost no ghosting?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
24" 1080p 1ms is pretty good for preventing things like ghosting. It is slower response time monitors (and TVs) that will show the worst effects.

Monitors with ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur) are often more on the high end of pricing. Some 144hz monitors do offer that feature. ULMB works by effectively shutting off the backlight (or dimming it) during each refresh cycle. Overall brightness is reduced, but ghosting is nearly eliminated.

144hz monitors will provide smoother gameplay, but you do need more GPU to handle it.

What are the specifications of your computer? CPU and GPU mostly.

And what are you willing to spend on a monitor?

Shwengy

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
So only expensive monitors can deal with ghosting? I have i5 4690,gtx 1060, so anything above 60hz is useless for me right? .. i can spend about 270 USD

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would not say that. It depends on what you are trying to play. Many games don't need anything close to a GTX1060 to reach 144 FPS. And it depends on the settings you choose in many titles. If you want to prioritize frames per second over image fidelity then you can probably exceed 60FPS on many games.

Ghosting is a result of LCD technologies. It is an interaction how fast each pixel can actually change, the backlight, and to some degree the difference between the 'before' and 'after' color. TN panels are generally the fastest, but lack good color reproduction. IPS and PLS displays often have poor response times and great color. Some of the nicer 5ms ones can be used effectively for gaming. Right now the best of both worlds is VA technologies. Decent color like IPS, but allows for the high refresh rates.

The monitor I listed above is a TN 1ms response time panel, but 144hz and I think it offers blur reduction. The monitor it replaced is no longer available, but their flicker free mode I believe matches the backlight to the refresh rate which should reduce ghosting. (Not everyone calls it ULMB, I think that is an ASUS term)

ULMB is a technology that is associated with G-Sync. it's an NVIDIA term and tech only G-Sync certified panels and GPUs support.
flicker free is something entirely different, comes from the CRT era when screens would literally flicker when refreshing
in LCD displays it some BenQ-tech that lights the display differently
here's an explanation and test

while I love VA panels, there aren't a lot out with high refreshrate and good pixel density and they got some issues with colour banding and artefacting.
there's just no perfect high refreshrate panel available right now :/

Shwengy

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
Ok so i decide for 60hz but IPS or TN? I want to play games like forza horizon 3,destiny 2,codww2,farcry,pubg etc. on 40-50fps.. I know IPS have better colours and view angles but TN is faster, so is there a big difference between 1ms TN and 5ms IPS? especially in ghosting/blurr question? and what about light bleed and glow effect is that really annoying when u play at night? Thanks guys :D

I wouldn't exclude VA panels, especially compared with lower end IPS, VA can really show it's strength

screens I'd recommend are

BenQ VZ2470H (sub 200$)
Dell Ultrasharp (sub 250$)
Philips B-line 241B7QPTEB / 241B7QPJKEB / 241B7QPJEB (sub 300$, differences between those models is additional ports like mini-hdmi & number of USB 3 ports)

anything between 1-5ms is fine. unless you got jedi-like vision it's below your physical awareness anyway.
blb is a problem, but more with gamer focused brands like Acer or Asus
if you want the best picture, I suggest going for professional use focused screens like the ones I suggested
as for the games you're playing: pubg, cod "favour" faster panels, the others profit off the better looks of an IPS/VA panel
at 60Hz, I wouldn't gp for a TN panel though

Solution