[SOLVED] I'm having a few problems after upgrading to Windows 11 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2023
Hello, i got the 12900KF processor a few months back. I had Win10 on my machine, and that processor and win10 did not work good together.

So i decided to upgrade to win 11.

However ive ran into a weird issue after upgrading.

When i open "My PC" it can take like 1 minute to open. Its like its searching for USB devices or something, just takes ages to get into my harddrive. This only happens like 3% of the time i click on my computer, rest of the time. It works fine.

Doesnt matter if i have external storage connected or not, it will still sometimes take a lifetime to open "My PC"

However, yesterday i did notice when i open a certain program, it gives me the same issue.

I opened my crypto wallet "Atomic wallet" and it took 3 minutes for my PC to open that program. I was uninstalling and reinstalling Atomic wallet cause i didnt think it worked anymore, but turns out i needed to be 2-3 minutes paitent with it opening a small program on an NVMe drive.

So both "My PC" (Where you can see your harddrives) and atomic wallet is "broken"
Another "symptom" ive seen, is my PC using like 20 seconds on the password screen when logging into windows before i am allowed to type in my password. Its like windows has loaded, but not responsive for the first 20 seconds. I have to wait 20 seconds then im allowed to type in password to login.

Im usualy tech savvy, and google my way out of problems.

But this is the weirdest behavior ive had, and my googling turns out pretty empty.

Hope any of you all got any solutions for this. Got windows updated, drivers etc. Only thing not detected in Device manager is a raid controller which has allways been undetected, nor do i have use for raid.
Can my raid controller be the culprit? Is thats why "My PC" takes so long to open? If so i gotta dig out what controller comes with my board, not in the standard drivers package.

Specs

Win 11 Pro
Version:22H2
Installed on 4/2/2023
OS build: 22621.1105
Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22638.1000.0

12900KF
Mainboard Model ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4

4x 16GB Corsair Venegance 3200mhz DDR CL16 (16-18-18-36), running 3400mhz CL16 (16-17-17-36) and overvolt of 0.025volt. Ran for years, stable and tested. Memtest gives no errors.
1080ti Gigabyte Waterforce, rebuildt to better watercooling with a 240mm rad. Running at 95% overvolt, 135% power target, +0 core and +400 memory. Stable and tested for years too.

Some random SSD, think its 970 pro i got as OS SSD.

Processor is not OC, all ive done is put it in allcore. It pulls about 215watts when at peak. Max package temp is 74 degrees while mining/gaming or stressing it. Coolant temp at 40.

1080ti runs at 41 degrees when under load, hotspot is at about 53.

All temps are sub 70 when under load on mobo etc.

Nothing shows in task manager, i even run process lasso which is more more precise when it comes to 12900k and usage. When i mine XMR on my processor on priority one, task manager shows CPU usage of 100%. While its realisticly only about 70% (Cannot use more cause its out of cache)

Process lasso shows much more accurate number.

However no resource numbers spike when i try to open atomic wallet. It end up as a backround process and uses 16mb of ram, no core or disk usage. And when the program finaly opens it goes from backround task too "Apps"

Regards

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Immediately after booting use either Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Another tool that may prove helpful is Process Explorer (Microsoft, free).

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

The objective is to discover what the system is doing, trying to do, or even failing to do when apps are slow to open.

Once Windows is up and running then open the tool. Observe for awhile, get a sense of the information being presented and what is being indicated by that information.

Then, with the tool window still open - just drag to one side, open one of the slow apps. Take your time, be methodical, keep notes.

Look for a pattern, some resource hitting 100%, or any other happening that lasts while the slowness lasts.

Feb 18, 2023
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Immediately after booting use either Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Another tool that may prove helpful is Process Explorer (Microsoft, free).

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

The objective is to discover what the system is doing, trying to do, or even failing to do when apps are slow to open.

Once Windows is up and running then open the tool. Observe for awhile, get a sense of the information being presented and what is being indicated by that information.

Then, with the tool window still open - just drag to one side, open one of the slow apps. Take your time, be methodical, keep notes.

Look for a pattern, some resource hitting 100%, or any other happening that lasts while the slowness lasts.
Thanks for your reply, ive updated my post.

Ive tried what you said with a few different resource monitors. And i see absolutely no response. All that happens is "Atomic wallet" pops up as a backround task. And does not move too "Apps" untill it opens after couple of mins.
PC works like normal while its "working on opening Atomic wallet", its snappy and responsive to other programs.

This is why im suspecting drivers, or maybe im lacking some critical stuff after updating. Framework or something. Cause this behavior is super odd.

I see no spikes in resources at all, thats whats weird. If it used resources id be able to track the problem. But its just this odd behavior in certain situations that dont make sense :p

Feb 18, 2023
this Atomic wallet is a crypto one so use glary utilities and post the start up page that software load on with the os .
Well atomic wallet is just a symptom, not a cause. I just noticed atomic wallet was altso effected yday when i was to open it.

But still "My PC" etc has been slow, and atomic wallet does not autolaunch. So first time i opened atomic wallet since i updated to win11 yday.

Programs that start on launch is:

Adobe Update Startup Utility
AsusFCNotification
CCXProcess
Cortana
Logitech Gaming Framework
Microsoft Edge
Microsoft One Drive
Microsoft Teams
Realtek HD Audio Universal Service
Steam
Windows Security notification icon
iCue

Nothing in shell:startup if win11 still uses that (Win 11 newbie here :p)

Feb 18, 2023
Another symptom, when i open Asus Armory crate. The app opens and promts me to Register product. But the app is frozen for about 3 minutes before i can acutally press any buttons on it.

This is so annoying :p

Feb 18, 2023
could you post the page picture .
Thanks to your questions i found the culprit.

I was making a log for you while windows was booting up. There i saw "Process Lasso" launching when it was not supposed too, it's a tool i used in win10 to manage the efficiency cores since win10 wasn't able to do that itself (stops it using ecores in games etc)

Uninstalling Process Lasso seems to have fixed all my issues. The program was installed on win10, and considering its a process manager.. This kinda explains the super weird behavior.

Thanks again for your effords and help :) I am now happy with a PC that works like intended :D

Status
Not open for further replies.