[SOLVED] I'm Infected with trojanwin32-wacatac-d!ml

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
Windows Defender detected it but couldn't remove it.
Windows Defender Threat protection is not running in services.msc but it seems it's running when I go to settings virus & threat protection, this trojan steals files. I got it after installing DiskTrix Ultimate Defragger app. one of It's .dll files is detected to have trojan (Windows defender said), I've uninstalled app & formatted my E drive which it was installed on.
ran a windows defender Offline scan.
& booted in safe mode & diagnostics mode. Windows defender NO LONGER detects Wacatac D!ML trojan, but I still can't turn windows defender threat protection in settings and I get error: [name of service] was started and then stopped, some services stop when they are not used by...., I searched for it, and In windows forums I found out that It's caused by a Virus, so the virus might still be there, but not detected, I really need help. thanks.
also: I have had ESET, uninstalled it ~30 days ago as it randomly causes issues with my WiFi (random packet loss)
so don't recommend it please It's sooo bad for me.

Solution
Whatever the source of this trojan, 2 options:

1. Recover from a known good full system backup you made before this happened. (this may involve inventing a time machine first)
  2. Full wipe and reinstall

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Flayed's argument is the right course, though. At this point, you'll spend longer trying to make sure there's nothing remaining of this virus than by simply wiping and reinstalling, which is also the safer choice. Hopefully if you have a large Steam library, it's not running on the OS drive.

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
Flayed's argument is the right course, though. At this point, you'll spend longer trying to make sure there's nothing remaining of this virus than by simply wiping and reinstalling, which is also the safer choice. Hopefully if you have a large Steam library, it's not running on the OS drive.
I ran ESET once again (It's the most powerful AV I know), It detected nothing, also windows 10 detected nothing, I ran Windows 10 offline scan once more, still nothing. I have Lots of games on my SSD (I keep small apps like disktrix or msi afterburner on hard drives & games on SSD). I really don't like to reinstall windows😥. Is there anyway I can Force Windows defender service to turn itself on? If no, I have no choice.
The whole problem rn is Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection service is not active... which isn't good.