[SOLVED] I'm looking for an app with which to make a rankings list ?

smartkid95

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Hi Guys been a long time since I've been on here. Is there any app that would let me make my own version of something like the top gear lap times leaderboard? Preferably something for windows that I can download. Tiermaker and others like that don't do quite what I want and I want something that looks a little more interesting than an excel spreadsheet. I need something where I can add lots and lots of names and drag and drop them to re-arrange the order. Any suggestions?

Solution
Interesting:

Taking a rather broad swing with respect to the requirements......

To use Tiermakers' "Hats" as an example - the songs would be the hats and you would move the songs up and down the ranking list. Something like that correct?

What format is used for the submitted ranked songs? How many entries/submissions are you working with? How often are the rankings changed?

(Are you live streaming your display and your audience watching the song list drags and drops?)

Are you familiar with Microsoft's "Sticky Notes"?

Just FYI:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-insider/apps/sticky-notes

The song or songs could be put in Sticky Notes, displayed and subsequently dragged and placed on a desktop for display...

Ralston18

Titan
Reconsider "drag and drop".

Let the software do the sorting work. All the more so with "lots and lots of names".

How do you rank or how are rankings calculated?

Overall, there are just some number of boxes/lines/rows that present the rankings from the top (highest) to bottom (lowest).

Rather than drag and drop (which can be quite tedious and subject to error) just calculate the rankings sort from highest to lowest.

Then present the ranking list via what ever applicable graphics you wish to use.

Excel can be used as the data source and Access (database) can add functionality as well.

End results for either can be imported into PowerPoint etc.

Doing so in real time will be trickier. Is the display target/ format a webpage?

Google words and phrases such as: "how do i automatically update data from excel to powerpoint"

Reword and revise the search criteria to fit your needs and what you learn via resulting search results.

For example:

https://www.empowersuite.com/en/blog/automatically-update-powerpoint-excel-links

smartkid95

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Thanks for the first reply!

What I need is weirdly specific that's whats made my search kind of hard. Kind of google thinking like you said. The issue is I don't have numbers that go with the names for Excel to automatically sort.

I am a music teacher and I have a daily updating list of ranked songs that are submitted. One gets added to the list per day. I need to be able to drag and drop it place of where it ranks. I know I can move rows around in excel to accomplish this but I don't think that is very visually appealing to watch on a livestream. I feel like seeing the name go into place in the list where I drag and drop it is such a satisfying visual. Kind of like the top gear big star in a small car board if anyone is familiar with the show.

Tiermaker kind of does that, but the tiered presentation system doesn't quite work. Is there maybe a way to change the settings in tiermaker that I have been missing in my search to make a cascading list like that there? I've seen the listmoz site but it isn't that appealing to look at, plus its not secure anyone with the link can manipulate it. Also having it present them in a numbered manner would be nice.

Maybe this detail may paint the picture better. Thanks everyone.

Ralston18

Titan
Interesting:

Taking a rather broad swing with respect to the requirements......

To use Tiermakers' "Hats" as an example - the songs would be the hats and you would move the songs up and down the ranking list. Something like that correct?

What format is used for the submitted ranked songs? How many entries/submissions are you working with? How often are the rankings changed?

(Are you live streaming your display and your audience watching the song list drags and drops?)

Are you familiar with Microsoft's "Sticky Notes"?

Just FYI:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-insider/apps/sticky-notes

The song or songs could be put in Sticky Notes, displayed and subsequently dragged and placed on a desktop for display. And mostly a manual process in both ranking placement and dragging/dropping. Not automated and perhaps a bit cumbersome.

=======

And there is another option you may find interesting/applicable. Especially with respect to the "satisfying visual" requirement.

Basically as I understand the process you are just creating icons that can be edited and dragged about.

Are you familiar with Scratch (MIT)? Free.

https://sip.scratch.mit.edu/scratchathome/

Technically used to teach coding; however, you can do quite a bit with Scratch. Create "song" sprites and move them about. (Could play the song as well...)

Without revealing any personally identifiable information would you be able to post some images that will help with understanding more about the requirements.

Use imgur

https://imgur.com/

Feel free to correct any errors in my understanding of the requirements.

Solution