Im looking to use a flexible analog stick to control the video head of a tripod. Im guessing bluetooth is the way to go but im stuck on where to start

Mar 31, 2023
Heres the analog stick :

The video head can be whichever one that has bluetooth I assume.

Ralston18

Titan
You have a camera on the head of a tripod. With a bluetooth control unit of some sort that can move the camera left/right, up/down.

And you want to control the camera movement using an analog stick that is connected to some other bluetooth device that is paired to the cameral.

The linked analog stick does not contain any motors or electronics that will make it work.

Look for a PTZ (Pan, Tilt, Zoom) product.

Google "wireless remote control pan tilt camera mount".

There are many products available. Take a look at the products, what they actually do, and how they work.

Then revise the search criteria as necessary to find a product that meets your requirements.

Reactions: scromer

Ralston18

Titan
I am not sure about the need for a flexible analog stick.

If the camera is monted on a fixed, raised pole (for example) you would use the camera's PTZ to move/aim the camera lens to desired/required directions.

Or at least initially install the camera to some fixed surface where the camera is "aimed" where you are most likely will need to look for things.

A flexible mount is going to do just that: flex, move, etc. due to wind, vibrations, birds landing on it, mechanical fatigue, whatever.....

However, that said, if you already have a camera without PTZ then you will need a PTZ mount of some sort.

Google "remote controlled ptz gimbal mount kit for cameras".

Take a look at the results and then revise the search criteria as necessary for your requirements, budget, etc..

Mar 31, 2023
I am not sure about the need for a flexible analog stick.

If the camera is monted on a fixed, raised pole (for example) you would use the camera's PTZ to move/aim the camera lens to desired/required directions.

Or at least initially install the camera to some fixed surface where the camera is "aimed" where you are most likely will need to look for things.

A flexible mount is going to do just that: flex, move, etc. due to wind, vibrations, birds landing on it, mechanical fatigue, whatever.....

However, that said, if you already have a camera without PTZ then you will need a PTZ mount of some sort.

Google "remote controlled ptz gimbal mount kit for cameras".

Take a look at the results and then revise the search criteria as necessary for your requirements, budget, etc..

The client im working with has it mounted on a Compound bow, so he wants the ability to control a mounted camera from the bow, not sure why but thats what he wants :)

USAFRet

Titan
The client im working with has it mounted on a Compound bow, so he wants the ability to control a mounted camera from the bow, not sure why but thats what he wants :)
This is where the concept of 'full requirements' enters the picture.

Putting this whole thing on a bow changes the suggestions completely.

I was going to suggest a GigaPan head.
But that obviously will not work for this use.

Mar 31, 2023
This is where the concept of 'full requirements' enters the picture.

Putting this whole thing on a bow changes the suggestions completely.

I was going to suggest a GigaPan head.
But that obviously will not work for this use.

Yeah that requirement was just told to me this morning :/

Ralston18

Titan
Are you able to ask the "why" question?

Former bowhunter here and although a bit old fashioned about things I just do not see trying, for example, to sight in on some target while drawing the bow and doing some sort of camera PTZ . Or having someone else try to remotely move the bow camera while the archer is drawing and aiming. Especially in the field and/or weather.

Weight and balance likely to be issues.

We used short stabilizers to help balance and weight the bow. A flexible "bendy clamp extension/mount" is likely to just flop about and overall do who knows what to the bow's mechanics and action upon arrow release.

Is the bow is also fitted with laser sights? Does the archer use a mechnical release?

At full draw, anchored, aimed, and then the PTZ camera goes "ummmm" and moves about. Action/Reaction comes into play.....

= = = =

I can envision mounting a small fixed lens camera (Go Pro perhaps) at the end of the stablizer in a way that perhaps shows the target and surrounding area. Straight forward and easy. However, full disclosure, mounting the camera may be a bit tricky - PTZ requirements aside. Batteries/power - where placed?

You really must ask more questions and be sure that the requirements are clear.

If anything get some photographs or diagrams showing the bow as it is now and what the bow is expected to have and look like afterwards.

And, be sure that the bow is indeed a compound bow versus a compound crossbow.

Trust that the plan does not include eventually mounting the bow, etc. all on a drone.... :)