[SOLVED] Im lost with Ryzen CPU's

Sep 13, 2020
Hello everyone!

I am thinking of building a new system for myself, since i have always sticked to team blue, i would like to change things up a bit and go for Ryzen.
But hence i have no experience with Ryzen builds, i feel a bit lost in all of this.
Since there are so many Ryzen cpu options out there, id like some guidance.

Can anyone please recommend me a good Ryzen cpu for gaming and possibly some streaming in the future. (Budget is quite tight)
Other pc parts would include:
3600mhz DDR4;
B450 motherboard;
Maybe something along the lines of 1070 8gb, but that may change since im getting a second hand GPU.

I was looking at Ryzen 5 3600x which in my country costs around 220EUR and i was wondering whether there is anything better for that amount of money? Or maybe there is an even cheaper Ryzen CPU with better performance?

Thank You beforehand!

Solution
Hello everyone!

I am thinking of building a new system for myself, since i have always sticked to team blue, i would like to change things up a bit and go for Ryzen.
But hence i have no experience with Ryzen builds, i feel a bit lost in all of this.

Can anyone please recommend me a good Ryzen cpu for gaming and possibly some streaming in the future. (Budget is quite tight)
3600mhz DDR4;
B450 motherboard;
Maybe something along the lines of 1070 8gb, but that may change since im getting a second hand GPU.

I was looking at Ryzen 5 3600x which in my country costs around 220EUR and i was wondering whether there is anything better...
Hello everyone!

3600mhz DDR4;
B450 motherboard;

I was looking at Ryzen 5 3600x which in my country costs around 220EUR and i was wondering whether there is anything better for that amount of money? Or maybe there is an even cheaper Ryzen CPU with better performance?

Thank You beforehand!
If you're considering dipping into streaming I'd suggest going with an 8 core CPU; that would be 3700x or 3800x for Zen 2 (the current top arch for AMD) or a 2700/X for Zen 1.5 (the previous). I'd not seriously consider a 1700 or 1800 8 core as it's the oldest.

Games are increasing demands for hardware threads and concurrent streaming puts really hard demands on the CPU by demanding threads for itself. Doing something like running a Discord app makes it even worse. That's why an 8/16 thread CPU is a good idea even though so many say 6/12 is enough. The 3700x is a best choice right now, along with a B550 motherboard. That gives you an assured upgrade path to Ryzen 4000 CPU's in the future which are about to drop from AMD.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution

alexbirdie

Respectable
If you're considering dipping into streaming I'd suggest going with an 8 core CPU; that would be 3700x or 3800x for Zen 2 (the current top arch for AMD) or a 2700/X for Zen 1.5 (the previous). I'd not seriously consider a 1700 or 1800 8 core as it's the oldest.

Games are increasing demands for hardware threads and concurrent streaming puts really hard demands on the CPU by demanding threads for itself. Doing something like running a Discord app makes it even worse. That's why an 8/16 thread CPU is a good idea even though so many say 6/12 is enough. The 3700x is a best choice right now, along with a B550 motherboard. That gives you an assured upgrade path to Ryzen 4000 CPU's in the future which are about to drop from AMD.

I agree nearly completely with you. Only buying a 2700x f.i. now I think, is not to be recommended( 3700x is only 100 Euro more expensive than 2700x with quite more power.)

Sep 6, 2020
Hello everyone!

3600mhz DDR4;
B450 motherboard;

Thank You beforehand!
wait for rysen 4000series price will be almost same as 3000 series, change your motherboard to b550 . will be better and very futureproof for u too inventing in new motherboard

I agree nearly completely with you. Only buying a 2700x f.i. now I think, is not to be recommended( 3700x is only 100 Euro more expensive than 2700x with quite more power.)
Absolutely I agree the 3700 is the better choice...not for cost (since it's obviously more expensive) but getting it and a B550 board is a killer performance combination right now. AND leaves you in a good position for upgrading, as I noted.

But as far as pure CPU performance contribution to gaming; while a 3700X is better it's not massively so. And that margin is eroded even more when a 2700x is overclocked, which it does fairly easily, to get much closer to a 3700x which really can't be. It's really a viable choice and still better than even a 3600, 6 core CPU, considering OP's ambitions.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
honestly a b550 board is not worth any extra cost vs a b450. the only thing you get is basically pcie 4.0, which the gpu does not need and can't really be used well for storage.

4.0 ssd's are barely faster than 3.0 models yet they cost a lot more. for someone looking at a "tight budget" this is an expense that won't pay off. i'd stick with a b450 unless the price is VERY right for a b550 and use the savings to go toward that 3700x vs a 3600.

but if you do stay with the 6 core, then a 3600 is just as good as a 3600x model. the extra bit of performance is not worth more than $10-20. and from what i've seen the 3600 is a lot cheaper than a 3600x making it the better buy.

honestly a b550 board is not worth any extra cost vs a b450. ....

Normally I'd agree... but in a market where Zen 3 is about to drop it's nice to invest in something that won't dead-end you in the future.

With a B550 you have assurance you can upgrade to a 4000 CPU while B450 you are completely and utterly at the mercy of the mfr. to decide which ones will get a BETA BIOS using the BETA AGESA AMD will make available.

Sep 6, 2020
Normally I'd agree... but in a market where Zen 3 is about to drop it's nice to invest in something that won't dead-end you in the future.

With a B550 you have assurance you can upgrade to a 4000 CPU while B450 you are completely and utterly at the mercy of the mfr. to decide which ones will get a BETA BIOS using the BETA AGESA AMD will make available.
why dont u wait and buy rysen 4000 with b550

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
right but is the op with his tight budget going to buy a ryzen 2 and then 3 months from now swap it for a ryzen 3?

highly unlikely really. most likely would be sticking with the more than ample 3700x (or 3600) for a couple years and upgrading down the line which will bring a new socket with it.

think about if he comes back in 6 months and says "should i upgrade from the 3700x to the 4700x?". the answer will almost certainly be no, since it won't be worth the cost. i have not seen anything to suggest somehow ryzen 3 will be such a massive upgrade tat it would be worth it. the normal 10% or so improvement is pretty much never worth it.

forward thinking is always a good thing, but reality is also worth considering. i have a 3700x on a b450 board and know i won't need anything new for at least a few years. b550 was just dropping but overall i knew it was just not worth the cost

why dont u wait and buy rysen 4000 with b550
A good option for OP to consider too!

But if on a budget, or you don't like the drama surrounding being an early adopter, you could go with the 2700 cpu, which still provides very good game performance even in a streaming rig. Hold off on a 4000 CPU until when Zen 4 drops in a year or two and they start discounting.

If your purchasing with an eye to future upgrades there's really a lot of choices to consider here and awful hard to say any one is a bad one for OP.

right but is the op with his tight budget going to buy a ryzen 2 and then 3 months from now swap it for a ryzen 3?

highly unlikely really. most likely would be sticking with the more than ample 3700x (or 3600) for a couple years and upgrading down the line which will bring a new socket with it.

think about if he comes back in 6 months and says "should i upgrade from the 3700x to the 4700x?". the answer will almost certainly be no, since it won't be worth the cost. i have not seen anything to suggest somehow ryzen 3 will be such a massive upgrade tat it would be worth it. the normal 10% or so improvement is pretty much never worth it.

forward thinking is always a good thing, but reality is also worth considering. i have a 3700x on a b450 board and know i won't need anything new for at least a few years. b550 was just dropping but overall i knew it was just not worth the cost
Nobody said it had to be an immediate upgrade... it's a future looking strategy for budget-minded people to consider. Reality is that things drop in cost as new tech rolls out; the budget way to ride that wave is to plan your upgrades to catch previous tech on the roll outs.

Sep 13, 2020

Indeed, it is fairly unlikely that i will upgrade anytime soon after this switch from Intel to Ryzen, because i am definitely not striving for the best and most recent tech due to budget limitations. But nontheless i am thankful for Your support people!

Although i could actually wait for the next gen to arrive, and then it would be even more likely that the prices on older CPU's will drop even more.

And to be fair, basically even the 3600x is going to be a very good upgrade for me, because currently im rocking a fairly outdated system :
I5-6500 watercooled (non overclockable);
2133mhz 16GB DDR4;
RX580 8gb.

But since the need for higher core counts for streaming, ill stick with Ryzen 7.

Btw, after checking the price on the Ryzen 7 2700x , it left me surprised (150EUR) compared to the Ryzen 5 3600x (220EUR) and the performance isnt even that different + more cores and threads. If i get the 2700x, itll leave me a bigger head room for my GPU!

Sep 13, 2020
Nobody said it had to be an immediate upgrade... it's a future looking strategy for budget-minded people to consider. Reality is that things drop in cost as new tech rolls out; the budget way to ride that wave is to plan your upgrades to catch previous tech on the roll outs.
I completely agree with Your opinion on riding the wave, that would be the right move to make, but since my budget is very strict (600EUR), and that has to include the complete system, it is quite necessary that i dont step overboard and to save money on the parts i can.

A good option for OP to consider too!

But if on a budget, or you don't like the drama surrounding being an early adopter, you could go with the 2700 cpu, which still provides very good game performance even in a streaming rig. Hold off on a 4000 CPU until when Zen 4 drops in a year or two and they start discounting.

If your purchasing with an eye to future upgrades there's really a lot of choices to consider here and awful hard to say any one is a bad one for OP.

I'm absolutely with you on the 2700x but it depends on location and pricing.
In the UK a 2700x can be had for the same price as a 3600 which makes it an absolutely viable buy for some people and usage.

If it costs more I personally wouldn't entertain it.

Vice versa B450 vs b550, its going to depend entirely on pricing in the OP's location.

At €10 more a comparable b550 is probably worth it, once you get past that the money would be better spent on other component choices.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
oh yah price is def the difference maker. as op noted, a 2700x vs 3600x in his area is a big price difference. that clearly brings the 2700x into the conversation. not a bad way to go really. the ipc increase for ryzen 3000 is not that massive to make the 2700x a bad buy.

def worth the consideration.

Sep 13, 2020
I'm absolutely with you on the 2700x but it depends on location and pricing.
In the UK a 2700x can be had for the same price as a 3600 which makes it an absolutely viable buy for some people and usage.

If it costs more I personally wouldn't entertain it.

Vice versa B450 vs b550, its going to depend entirely on pricing in the OP's location.

At €10 more a comparable b550 is probably worth it, once you get past that the money would be better spent on other component choices.

The location is Latvia, and as i stated above, i was surprised by the 50EUR difference. The 2700x is cheaper than the 3600 here.
So i think it is a viable option.

Sep 13, 2020
Also i would like a recommendation on a motherboard to get. So im thinking of getting 3600mhz ram , since a 16gb kit here is just 69EUR. And i would like the CPU to be compatible with the MB right out of the box without any bios flashes, since i havent even done that before. :D
Do You guys have any recommendations?

P.S
I am extremely thankful for the support im getting here, thank every single one of You, guys! :)

Do you have an online store we can look at?

Entirely depends on availability.

I'm running on the asrock Pro 4, it's a solid board and in the UK at least it's one of the cheaper priced ones.

Any B450 board or upwards supports the 2700x out of the box.

Sep 13, 2020