Question I'm only getting one lane for my PCIe 4 M.2 SSD ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aggressive Combo

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
Please keep it to 1 thread.
UPDATED DESCRIPTION (1/16/2024): FIXED!!!

I've made a post a couple days ago about the MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS motherboard.
Recently, I purchassed and installed the Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD.
The issue I found, was that installing that SSD into the M2_1 slot, I was only getting one lane recognized (PCIe 4.0 x 1, instead of PCIe 4.0 x 4).
This results in a speed decrease of four fold. In that post I found someone else having the same issue as me, @gleb23.
They found a similar issue on a different site, in German, though in that post it recognizes 2 lanes, isntead of 4.
He found a partial solution. Put that SSD into the M2_2 slot, which allows the disk to use all four lanes. The problem is that this slot is only PCIe 3.
That means, that now the disk will be running at half it's normal operating speed. This doesn't fix the underlying issue though.
I noticed that all of us were using AMD CPUs, especially Zen 3 ones. @gleb23 and Carstenohne are using 5000 series CPUs, while i'm using a 3000 series CPU, the Ryzen 7 3800x.
It's important to note that this slot (M2_1) is connected to the CPU, unlike the M2_2 slot, which isn't.
We haven't found a solution. Will anyone help?

Up to date BIOS, SSD updated to latest firmware in Samsung Magician, and I fully formatted all of my disks and completely reinstalled Windows 11 Pro.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024
all drivers are up to date?

please run userbenchmark.com and post the link of the result
Now it says that the servers are full. Here is a test from two months ago https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/65197682

2024-01-13-234457.png

Jan 12, 2024
Literally just sequential transfer speed. Any other benefits regarding random IO or anything else come from the drive itself. Unless you have a workload that needs the high sequential speed I cannot imagine ever noticing a difference.
If there is no difference in the feeling of speed between pcie3 and pcie4 without a lot of file turnover, this will not justify the equipment promising to provide pcie4 speed, but in fact it does not. Here is the fact of the presence and correct operation of the motherboard, and not chasing numbers in benchmarks.

Reactions: Aggressive Combo
update the bios of your motherboard

Jan 12, 2024
update the bios of your motherboard
System Information
------------------
Serial Number: <<Removed by Moderator>>
Product Name: MPG B550 GAMING PLUS
OS: Майкрософт Windows 10 Pro 64-разрядная Ver.2009 (OS build 19045.3930)
BIOS Version: 1.F0
BIOS Release Date: 10/11/2023
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor
Memory: 32 GB @
- 16 GB DDR4-2400, Kingston KF2666C13D4/16GX
- 16 GB DDR4-2400, Kingston KF2666C13D4/16GX
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Drive: SSD, Samsung SSD 970, 465,76 GB
Drive: SSD, Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB, 931,51 GB
Network: TP-Link Wireless USB Adapter #2
Network: Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller

Jan 12, 2024
Greetings Aggressive Combo
I wrote to msi support and they sent me bios firmware that they don’t have on their website. Here is the answer:

Dear Gleb ,

Thanks for contacting MSI technical support.

Regarding your concern, please download and update the 7C56v1G1 bios on the MSI website. You can update BIOS with M-Flash. How to use M-Flash, you could refer to the manual. Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T671qcUfbJXhQ0k8PECrjbC9epzUMZOB/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for your cooperation in advance!

Best Regards,

MSI Technical Support Team

I'm leaving now for a couple of days, if this helps you, please let me know so I know

Reactions: Aggressive Combo

Aggressive Combo

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
I wrote to msi support and they sent me bios firmware that they don’t have on their website. Here is the answer:

Dear Gleb ,

Regarding your concern, please download and update the 7C56v1G1 bios on the MSI website. You can update BIOS with M-Flash. How to use M-Flash, you could refer to the manual. Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T671qcUfbJXhQ0k8PECrjbC9epzUMZOB/view?usp=sharing

Best Regards,

I'm leaving now for a couple of days, if this helps you, please let me know so I know
I'll download it as soon as I get home. Is the google drive the link that they gave you?

Aggressive Combo

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020

Dear Gleb ,

Best Regards,

It works!
https://prnt.sc/1t1pzHvYjmfc
Random write is slower for some reason, but maybe that's just not enough data.

Reactions: thestryker

Aggressive Combo

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
How are your sequential speeds with the drive on M2_2 or with an older bios update? If you keep getting 250MB/s read speeds then that's not normal. Maybe your drive really is defective, but I don't believe that.
Nevermind, I notice write speeds are normal on crystaldiskmark.
Try scanning for bad sectors or anything out of the ordinary, through the samsung Magician app.
How are your temperatures?
It really does seem like it's still being bottlenecked by pcie 3, even if it's pcie 4.
Last resort, try reformatting your drive and reinstalling windows.
Trying it on another PC is worth a shot, just make sure it's pcie 4x4.

Mar 22, 2024
I just upgraded to AM5 (7900x3d) and an MSI MEG x670 ACE Mobo. Experiencing the same issue with a 980 pro. So the issue seems to continue into the next gen. Updated bios first after reading this but no luck. Hopefully it’s one of the easier fixes.

Last edited:

Aggressive Combo

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
I just upgraded to AM5 (7900x3d) and an MSI MEG x670 ACE Mobo. Experiencing the same issue with a 980 pro. So the issue seems to continue into the next gen. Updated bios first after reading this but no luck. Hopefully it’s one of the easier fixes.
You should contact your MB's manufacturer like @gleb23 did. They gave us a fix that worked or me. Try it, and tell me how it went. You could also try to factory reset / get a fresh win install.