[SOLVED] I'm still getting ping spikes even with brand new connection ?

Aug 19, 2021
Hi, i used to have ping spikes, that eventually i could solve by turning off my router for 5 mins and i would be fine for a day, now i changed connection, and i still have the same problem, so im starting to think that it wasnt connection related, but my pc,
View: https://imgur.com/a/UFVUli6

this arent massive lag spikes, but while gaming its really annoying, also it varies a lot of times, when i dont have 200 ms i have a failed request, or just a series of 90 ms, i've tried everything on this list Frequent drops or intermittent wireless connection - Windows 7, 8, & 10 - Lenovo Support IT since i own a lenovo legion y520, the connection is a 200/20 optical fiber, also my family has no problems, for any other info just tell me

Solution
A few 200ms spikes here and there will not cause a issue for most games. If you have a large number in a row that might be a issue but in general you have a very consistent and low average ping time. It is highly doubtful you will be able to detect even a single lost packet when it happens only every few seconds. You either did not get lucky and your ping see it or you have a different problem in your game.

It is not uncommon for wifi to have issues like this. Interference from both devices inside your house and outside and cause these latency spikes. There really is no solution since it is fundamental to how wifi work. Unlike almost any other form of network wifi will delay traffic to prevent loss but a game uses the delays...
A few 200ms spikes here and there will not cause a issue for most games. If you have a large number in a row that might be a issue but in general you have a very consistent and low average ping time. It is highly doubtful you will be able to detect even a single lost packet when it happens only every few seconds. You either did not get lucky and your ping see it or you have a different problem in your game.

It is not uncommon for wifi to have issues like this. Interference from both devices inside your house and outside and cause these latency spikes. There really is no solution since it is fundamental to how wifi work. Unlike almost any other form of network wifi will delay traffic to prevent loss but a game uses the delays to sync traffic between the server and the client so it needs them consistent. The designs are fundamentally incompatible which is why it is recommended you never play games on wifi. Almost any other type of application has no issues with these random delays.

You have already tried most the common things if you did that list.

I would test your game on a ethernet cable. What you hope is you see the same issue since you likely can't fix the wifi. It can be many things even video settings cause lag spikes in games but when you have a wifi connection in the path it makes you ability to test hard because you can get random spikes from both the wifi as well as the real problem.

You could also try to boot a linux USB image. Problem is most games will not run under linux and it can be tricky to get a game installed on the USB stick without damaging your windows install on the disk. You really would need to be able to see the problem with just a simple ping command or other common tool. If you can get the problem to show without a game this method is your best to see if it is hardware issue or most likely some silly setting buried in windows causing it.

My guess though is it is a game setting not a network issue. A ping test will have much more random packet latency that what your current ones show.

Solution
Aug 19, 2021

It is not uncommon for wifi to have issues like this. Interference from both devices inside your house and outside and cause these latency spikes. There really is no solution since it is fundamental to how wifi work. Unlike almost any other form of network wifi will delay traffic to prevent loss but a game uses the delays to sync traffic between the server and the client so it needs them consistent. The designs are fundamentally incompatible which is why it is recommended you never play games on wifi. Almost any other type of application has no issues with these random delays.

You have already tried most the common things if you did that list.

I would test your game on a ethernet cable. What you hope is you see the same issue since you likely can't fix the wifi. It can be many things even video settings cause lag spikes in games but when you have a wifi connection in the path it makes you ability to test hard because you can get random spikes from both the wifi as well as the real problem.

You could also try to boot a linux USB image. Problem is most games will not run under linux and it can be tricky to get a game installed on the USB stick without damaging your windows install on the disk. You really would need to be able to see the problem with just a simple ping command or other common tool. If you can get the problem to show without a game this method is your best to see if it is hardware issue or most likely some silly setting buried in windows causing it.

My guess though is it is a game setting not a network issue. A ping test will have much more random packet latency that what your current ones show.
Me installing Linux is probably not to take in consideration, since as u said most of the games won't run, anyway the problem in games is highly visible, in competitive games such as valorant csgo ecc, this spike consists in a second or two loss or even a teleport, i anyway have this lag spikes also in the moments I'm doing nothing, literally every programm is off and they still happen,

The problem is it can have nothing at all to do with your machine. It could be your neighbor loading a big web page interfering with your signals.

So your first test needs to find a way to eliminate the wifi like running on ethernet. Even if you have to move your machine to test it.

You need to quickly find out if is the wifi or maybe it is something else. This way you do not spend your time trying to fix the wrong stuff.

If it is wifi then then your options are to live with the problem or find a way to not use wifi. You might consider MoCA if you have tv coax in both rooms or powerline networks.