I'm still questioning Hyperthreading/ SMT benefits

rdgoodri

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
I'm still thinking Hyperthreading/ SMT is more of a marketing move than a real benefit to gamers. If you compare performance of tasks running on one physical core vs. two virtual threads running on one core, (and splitting the cache), each virtual thread will always run slower than the thread on the dedicated physical core. However, you can run more of them. Do you agree, why or why not?

Solution
The main advantage with all forms of SMT is you have another logical core where lighter processing workloads can be run in a way that doesn't cause a thread from an application you are currently running from coming to a complete stop. That's almost always going to give some small gain in performance simply because there are literally thousands of OS threads running in the background that don't do much work, but would otherwise cause your application to stop for a few ns every so often, which adds up over time. However, as the number of physical CPU cores increases, the benefit of SMT decreases [less likely to run into the above problem]. This is why an i3 is SIGNIFICANTLY better at gaming then a Pentium, but an i5 and i7 are...

kanewolf

Titan

You are limiting your thinking to gaming. I work with very large servers at work (256 cores and 2TB RAM). Everything that gets run on those servers is benchmarked to determine how many CPUs a specific algorithm can scale. Some are 8, some are 128. It just depends on how the code is written. The only way to determine if you benefit is to take specific applications and test with SMT on and SMT off.

Depends on the CPU in question. The leap from a Pentium to an i3 was HUGE because hyperthreading allowed for low-workload system threads to run on hyperthreaded cores without having to make the game you are currently using come to a complete stop to let them run.

As the number of cores increases, the benefits to gaming drops, mainly since games don't use that many threads at a time. Hyperthreading will almost always help reduce latency in any case.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Even in games hyperthreading can make a difference, on 6 core 8th gen cpu's. Here is a watch dogs 2 bench with an 8600k and 8700k both at 5ghz, 8700k still comes out on top. Same story in a lot of modern titles.

8600k-wd2-1080p.png

The main advantage with all forms of SMT is you have another logical core where lighter processing workloads can be run in a way that doesn't cause a thread from an application you are currently running from coming to a complete stop. That's almost always going to give some small gain in performance simply because there are literally thousands of OS threads running in the background that don't do much work, but would otherwise cause your application to stop for a few ns every so often, which adds up over time. However, as the number of physical CPU cores increases, the benefit of SMT decreases [less likely to run into the above problem]. This is why an i3 is SIGNIFICANTLY better at gaming then a Pentium, but an i5 and i7 are generally about the same.

Solution