I'm trying to build a PC that cost less then $400, any help is welcome.

Nighterlev

Honorable
Nov 1, 2015
Hello, as the title suggest. I need help building a PC, Any suggestions would help. Yes, all the parts must be brand new, as I don't really go by buying already used parts unless there from a corporation (kinda like how game-stop sells used games that cost less) but still work.
$400 is around my budget, as I don't think I'd be able to buy a PC that cost $500 at all.

AMD or Intel, doesn't really matter, I'm more about who gives out more performance rather then brand. Brand matters little to me.
And yes, I do plan on doing quite a bit of things on this computer, mainly gaming (yes I know a budget of like $800 would be better but I don't have that type of money so yea) just $400 low level gaming. And I don't plan on doing 1080p 60fps resolution at all with this type of money. I've already got an Xbox One anyways, but I'm planning to increase my whole gaming area over-all.

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
This is one I built last week for my personal Linux-only daily messing-around, movies, streaming and low-level gaming. It has been surprisingly nice for the few days I've been using it. Operating system is Xubuntu 15.10 with compositing disabled. Using the proprietary driver for the gpu, Nvidia 352.41. Feel is good and snappy... not that much different than my more powerful system, gaming aside.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fcp47P

There's still some money left for better pieces or Windows.

Nighterlev

Honorable
Nov 1, 2015

Looked at your build, but question. Why not the Intel Pentium G3258? It's only like $10 more, and with rebates there virtually the exact same cost.
RAM wise, I'm already running off 1x8 1333MHz. Not sure if I need more RAM, or just faster RAM over all. I'm thinking about getting faster RAM though, at 2x4. As for video card, would that Nivida card be better then my current APU? I've got an A6-6400k APU currently and I'm not exactly sure how much better that one would be. I also plan to play rather high performance games hopefully, just not max detail at all.

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
The Pentium 3220 and motherboard were spares I had on hand already. The video card I chose because I wanted to see how low I could go and still be satisfied... otherwise I would have chosen a card in the $100-$150 range. The 1333 ram was chosen because the Pentium won't use any faster. And 4 gb of dual channel ram works fine for me (but I don't play multi-player). I do agree with you, though, that the G3258 (overclocked) with faster ram and a better gpu would be the way to go if you can squeeze it in under $400.

Nighterlev

Honorable
Nov 1, 2015

Considering currently I'm using an APU, A6-6400k APU, a faster processor is definitely needed. Therefore, a whole new motherboard. Or I could possibly go for an Althlon, or a A10 processor.
My current HDD's seem to be failing, and so is the RAM I believe.
PSU is one of the shittiest PSU's I've seen, from the looks of it it seems to be off brand and the thing only supports up to 300 something WATT's I believe.

So yes, a whole new system is in fact needed, with the only thing that seems to work is the case, which even then, isn't all that good for airflow. Plus I believe it only supports MicroATX's, and I have no idea what brand the case is.

So therefore, a whole new system for gaming is needed as this current system doesn't do it at all.

Nighterlev

Honorable
Nov 1, 2015

Building a PC under $400 is some-what possible for gaming. Especially if it's 720p 60fps high detail. I don't plan on playing 1080p 60fps ultra detail after all lol.
I mean I managed to put together a system costing $700-$800 that could play most games today at 1080p 60fps ultra detail. Soo..Lowering that cost to $400 for just 720p 60fps high detail should be possible, is it not?

Nighterlev

Honorable
Nov 1, 2015

Looked at that system.
Motherboard completely sucks, can't support more then 1333MHz RAM, which I already have although I believe it's failing and I would prefer faster RAM anyways.
Why choose 1x8? 2x4 is cheaper and faster.
Change the HDD to the Western Digital Blue 1TB, way more reliable and simply better over-all.

Everything else seems to be great. Although I could comment on the PSU not being EVGA instead (much more reliable brand for PSU's) Seasonic I guess could work, looked at the reviews and they seem to be rather awesome (1 saying it lasted 4 years and still works) so yeah.