Question I'm trying to update my bios on my old pc because i think it is corrupted

Apr 28, 2024
Hello I'm trying to update my bios because I think it might be corrupted.
The mother board is a J&W but i can not find them anywhere on the internet, the bios is AMI
I have been looking every where on where to get a newer bios update and to be honest I'm so confused and the hole process is really daunting and the fear of making a mistake.

on pc startup the screen reads:
AMIBIOS (©) 2006 aMERICAN MEGATRENDS, INC
BIOS Date: 02/26/11 14:10:49 Ver: 08.00.15
JW-IG41M-L3 BIOS V3.0
CPU: INTEL (R) Core (™) 2Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Speed: 3.01GHz

where do i go to find new bios please and thank you

hardwars info:
MB: J&W JW-IG41M-L3

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8400 @3.00GHz

PSU Thermaltake GX2 600W Toughpower series (new in the last couple weeks)

2TB SSD hard drive (new in Sep 23)

4GB DDR2 SDRAM 1 slot

NVidia GPU GeForce 8600GT 3D

Apr 28, 2024
my pc keeps turning off unexpectedly, when i say turning off i mean the screen goes black and the fans are still spinning and the lights are on but the power button to turn the pc off is no longer working. Im using the ps atm but i can not put much load on it with out it turning off .... I replaced the hdd and psu but it is still doing it. the problems started after a storm and the pc shut down and the time and other bios settings where messed up

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This is more likely a motherboard issue, like a failed capacitor.

Could also be an issue with the video card. You can try removing it and using the integrated video controller to see if that helps.

Honestly, you need to upgrade to much more modern tech. Is that in the cards at all?

Apr 28, 2024
my first thought on the fault was overheating ... so I replaced the cpu fan and re thermal pasted it as well as clean and paste the gpu fan

I took the video card out and ran it on the onboard video it still turned off,
I also disconnected the start button and shorted the pins to start the pc and it still turned off,
I started the pc from a usb OS and it still turned off
it was mentioned in a social post the to try updating my bios might help

sure i'd love to update my old pc but i really do not have the $$ to spare

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I took the video card out and ran it on the onboard video it still turned off,
I also disconnected the start button and shorted the pins to start the pc and it still turned off,
I started the pc from a usb OS and it still turned off
it was mentioned in a social post the to try updating my bios might help

sure i'd love to update my old pc but i really do not have the $$ to spare
That isn't a BIOS issue, you have an old, failing hardware issue. Aside from the PSU, SSD, and possibly GPU, you need a new motherboard, CPU, and memory.

You could even re-use your current case, in a pinch.

Reactions: drivinfast247

COLGeek

Cybernaut

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Many thanks for the help, and the shopping list this is going to a bit of long thinking and planing
I tried to keep the suggested costs low. Lists/costs could be made to go ever lower.

Compared to what you currently have, even this modest build would be head and shoulders above what you have now.

Do you have a budget in mind?

Also, what version of Windows are you actually running?

Apr 28, 2024
There is always a catch lol

I think i have to work out how to change it over to new boot system for the laptop eufi or something like that then put my info back on it from the back up (i jave not looked at this part to much yet cause i was hoping to save my old pc

Apr 28, 2024
faststone, image composer, a full older suit of photo shop, afterFX, gimp and there are a couple video editing programs... you cant even get some of them any more

Apr 28, 2024
thats the hope now i guess but i can not finding J&W JW-IG41M-L3 MB's any where and i can not even get to their web site .... their is a Lenovo L-IG41M-L3 mb with the same number fairly cheap on ebay but sitting with a torch and trying to compare my mb with the lenovo picture i see some differences

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If you get something similar, using the same G41 chipset, you "may" be able to swap pretty easily. Don't get a Lenovo/Dell/HP, etc. motherboard. Look at the ECS one I linked above.

When swapping motherboards, the best path forward is a fresh, clean install of Windows and your applications. I get the impression that really isn't an option with what you have running now.

Apr 28, 2024
Hi just thought I would update on how things are proceeding. Being stuck between the a new mother board and the new laptop and carefully considering all possible options. And it came down to living in a RV full time and my workspace, and I settled for fixing up my old tower since space wise the box can stay under the kitchen table.

I ended up upgrading quite a bit and got this ***NEW*** BCM RX67Q mATX Gaming Motherboard Combo | Intel i5-3470 | 16GB DDR3 https://www.ebay.com/itm/335316385053 and a matching cpu fan

I found the manufacturers manual for the MB and I'm studying it

If I have questions installing the MB is it ok to come back here and ask or do I need to start a new thread?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Hi just thought I would update on how things are proceeding. Being stuck between the a new mother board and the new laptop and carefully considering all possible options. And it came down to living in a RV full time and my workspace, and I settled for fixing up my old tower since space wise the box can stay under the kitchen table.

I ended up upgrading quite a bit and got this ***NEW*** BCM RX67Q mATX Gaming Motherboard Combo | Intel i5-3470 | 16GB DDR3 https://www.ebay.com/itm/335316385053 and a matching cpu fan

I found the manufacturers manual for the MB and I'm studying it

If I have questions installing the MB is it ok to come back here and ask or do I need to start a new thread?
As this will be, essentially, a new system. I suggest starting a new thread.

Reactions: Crystal_B