[SOLVED] I'm upgrading from a 970 to a 1650 and wondering if its ok to use 6 pin to 8pin/6pin with 1650

Feb 15, 2020
the gtx 970 used one 6pin - 8/6pin and an 8 pin to 8/6 pin connection, Is it okay if I use a single cable to connect it to my power supply?
which one do I use? the 8-8/6 pin , or the 6 - 8/6 pin

Solution
Sounds like a power issue more than a gpu issue. I'd remove both cards and run off the igpu and see if you get a display or not. If you don't, you've got even bigger problems...:(
Feb 15, 2020
FYI going from a GTX 970 to a GTX 1650 is a decrease in performance, not a upgrade.

Some GTX 1650 require a 6-pin connection so you may only need that single cable. There are some models that don't even require a 6-pin, usually the ITX versions.

Sorry replacing my 970 because I thought it had died on me, I don’t have another system to test it but everything else seemed to work (Fans running lights on) except no display and the gtx fans were not running, I tried installing the gtx1650 And had the same issue lights on fans running but the graphics card fans were not running and I could get no source but the 1650 card lights were on
My mouse and keyboard were not connecting to any of the ports
I’m running an i5 3500 k
Fatal1ty 750w power supply
2tb hd and 250gb ssd
I’m not sure what the issue is

Feb 15, 2020
Sounds like a power issue more than a gpu issue. I'd remove both cards and run off the igpu and see if you get a display or not. If you don't, you've got even bigger problems...:(
I've tried running it without the cards and everything runs fine lights on fans on just no connection to the usb ports or display ,
I've also got an asus pbz77 -V motherboard
Ive read on a few forums that other people have had this issue and it was their motherboard or "mobo"
I'm not sure what that is, others have said that it was a burnt out ram stick but ive tried that too
but i'm going to keep trying different things

I've tried running it without the cards and everything runs fine lights on fans on just no connection to the usb ports or display ,
I've also got an asus pbz77 -V motherboard
Ive read on a few forums that other people have had this issue and it was their motherboard or "mobo"
I'm not sure what that is, others have said that it was a burnt out ram stick but ive tried that too
but i'm going to keep trying different things
So does the system operate 100% fine without the cards? Or are there still issues? If there still are issues, it is the motherboard, and unless you know what you are doing, stop and take this to a shop or you're going to kill the whole thing dead if you don't know what you're doing.

Feb 15, 2020
So does the system operate 100% fine without the cards? Or are there still issues? If there still are issues, it is the motherboard, and unless you know what you are doing, stop and take this to a shop or you're going to kill the whole thing dead if you don't know what you're doing.
Yea the system works completely fine without the cards, I did take the motherboard out and cleaned/dusted it and put it back together tried it with the new 1650 and now theres no issues.
Thanks for the replies