[SOLVED] iMac 2010 Boot Loop Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crispz

Commendable
Nov 25, 2016
I get a black screen and the start up chime that continuously loops. Keyboard commands do not work neither does putting in an os x disk as the disc drive does not seem to work either. What could be the cause of this issue? The computer has been working perfectly until now.

Solution
This could be if there was a power outage/fluctuation, an app crashed, you ran out of HD space (yes, that’s happened to me, I download… a lot) or if your system libraries are corrupt.

Once the Kernel loads properly, even if there’s a problem with background services like location, the computer will still boot, only in this case those particular background services may not work. This can be reset with a simple reboot. However, if your computer is not booting, but is stuck in a boot loop, then there could be two problems : it could be a kernel issue, or a hardware issue.

To narrow it down, lets take it one step further. During the boot, when the Apple Logo shows up, that means the System has a valid boot device (ie could be your...

Wups

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
This could be if there was a power outage/fluctuation, an app crashed, you ran out of HD space (yes, that’s happened to me, I download… a lot) or if your system libraries are corrupt.

Once the Kernel loads properly, even if there’s a problem with background services like location, the computer will still boot, only in this case those particular background services may not work. This can be reset with a simple reboot. However, if your computer is not booting, but is stuck in a boot loop, then there could be two problems : it could be a kernel issue, or a hardware issue.

To narrow it down, lets take it one step further. During the boot, when the Apple Logo shows up, that means the System has a valid boot device (ie could be your bootcamp, or your HD, or your bootable HD). Then a spinning wheel shows up underneath. At this point, the system loads kernel extensions, boot caches and more. If one of these are causing a problem, your reboot should start immediately after the spinning wheel. If not, then it could be a add-on causing the problem.

To perform a PRAM Reset:
Ensure the machine is powered down
Locate the following 4 keys on the keyboard: Command, Option(Alt), P & R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously
Press the power button
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the grey screen appears.
The machine will present the Apple logo and reboot – You want the machine to reboot 3 times(Apple chime 3 times) so keep holding the keys!
Has this worked?

If not, to perform an SMC Reset:
Unplug the computers power cord from the machine
Wait 15 seconds
Attach the computers power cord
Wait another 5 seconds and press the power button to turn on the computer.

Also, try this:
Press the power button
Hold the SHIFT key down – this must be pressed before the grey screen appears.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.