[SOLVED] iMAC gets too hot

pcgui2001

Commendable
Jul 13, 2018
I have a mid 2011 imac that gets way too hot on top in the back where im guessing the exhaust is. It's been like that ever since i got it (used) so I dont know if it's just something that happens with these computers or somethings actually wrong? it has a new power supply that i installed for a different reason (which ended up being a graphics card issue but anyway). When i did have it taken apart i cleaned it out and put some new heat sick compound on the gpu and cpu. Still gets hot.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!!

Solution
Try what Ramboy_69 wrote, and clean every "breathing" hole that is used to exhaust hot air, but there should be a few that are used to let fresh air come inside the chasis, clean those too.

2011 thats more or less 9 years of use, probably the thermal paste from the CPU/GPU is too dry and old to be effective and thus the increase in temps.

On the other hand small form factor PCs (AIO in this case) like that do get hotter than the usual big bulky "box" cases, and with 9 years on the back Im guessing its not unusual to get even hotter.

RamBoy_69

Prominent
Apr 17, 2020
Make sure the fan on the back is clean-you can always just take a vacuum and let it suck up all of the dust. At this point I don't really have any other ideas other than put a fan behind it. Other than that its ok if your mac gets hot with heavy use.

berenod

Honorable
May 6, 2014
Those iMacs do get hot!
The standard fan settings are set for keeping the noise down as much as possible, and olly start to spool up the fans when, things really get hot.

Look for MacFancontrols (free download), and install.

It gives you all of the temperatures in your machine, and you can control the fans, let each fan be controlled by a temp sensor of your choice.

Important to know is that the ODD fan (optical drive) the fan is which cools the graphics card, so absolutely need to control that fan either by the GPU diode or the GPU heatsing temp sensor!

Try what Ramboy_69 wrote, and clean every "breathing" hole that is used to exhaust hot air, but there should be a few that are used to let fresh air come inside the chasis, clean those too.

2011 thats more or less 9 years of use, probably the thermal paste from the CPU/GPU is too dry and old to be effective and thus the increase in temps.

On the other hand small form factor PCs (AIO in this case) like that do get hotter than the usual big bulky "box" cases, and with 9 years on the back Im guessing its not unusual to get even hotter.

Last edited:
Reactions: RamBoy_69
Solution