iMac or PC for photo editing? Lightroom and such

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have a good family friend looking at an iMac Pro system that is going to come to a bit better than $3K including the monitor and such to start, and the complete package of items that (may) be needed bring it up closer to $4K. They opted for the 32GB and 1TB RAM/NVMe options and the "19 core" APU-thingy that boasts ~13 TFLOPS.

They asked if I was able to build a system with better specs and something that would last at least 8 years. I was very clear that where I cannot fault Apple in the space they are considering, that as far as tech support or assistance I could not help. I did caveat that the ecosystem that Apple used especially for true imaging and so on is hard to beat. I didn't try to get into that aspect of this discussion but to say that since I cannot predict what AI might change in regard to requirements it was hard to predict towards that aspect's importance at this point, at least for me.

I ended up spec'ing out an R9 7900X system, Samsung storage, G Skill DDR5 (32GB), a 4070 Super, Corsair RMe PSU, and a nice case. Didn't go all the way into cooling options, fans, lighting (if desired) yet...but the proposed bones of a system came to around $1530. There will be some final touches to this for certain, might back off the current graphics option, still have to consider the size they will be happy with using up for it. Of course, anything going M-ITX or smaller is going to run costs up a lot.

Anyway, where I cannot really make an unbiased opinion towards choosing to select an Apple prebuilt and full setup over staying with a nice PC/Windows base....perhaps you might have something to weight the consideration?

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
My two cents... it all depends upon the file sizes they work with and how much in-system storage they need. PC scales much easier (and affordably) with RAM and SSD upgrades. I previously used Macs for photo editing and they often got left behind after about 5 years because I couldn't upgrade the RAM, even if the CPU was sufficient. (Perhaps less an issue on Mac Pro.)

Another thing to keep in mind is Mac Pro is still on M2 whilst the consumer models are pushing up to M4.

If they use Neural AI filters a lot: there's a good crowdsourced ad-hoc benchmark pool in this German forum thread here (requires translation to EN) with a few Macs chucked in for comparison.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Here's a template for a system that's primarily for photo-editing and asset management. <$2.5K USD and more capable (and scaleable) than the Mac Pro spec your friend is considering.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/x6Hv9c

Going to 4070Ti Super would accelerate AI filters even more, and still remain <$3k.

Note the monitor suggestion (not included in pricing). Latest high-gamut mini-LED screen from BenQ, primarily for photo editing.

Postscript. Puget Systems recently did a content creation comparison between Mac and PC (May 2024).

Last edited:

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
The monitor is the major component for photo-editing. Having an LG professional Oled probably has the edge, but they cost in the 3k range. When it comes to consumer oled, the manufacturer may not be pursuing color accuracy verse something like a BenQ. So in certain price ranges it may make more sense to use the lcd panel.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
This individual did already purchase what was considered a "good" screen for true color and depth. I could not tell you what it is. I really think they will go with Apple on this. Their phone got broken a couple of days ago and apparently was a really good offer on the new iPhone. Once they learn how to use it going with the iMac will likely be a shoe in. It actually takes care of a couple other concerns about data retention/security.

USAFRet

Titan
This individual did already purchase what was considered a "good" screen for true color and depth. I could not tell you what it is. I really think they will go with Apple on this. Their phone got broken a couple of days ago and apparently was a really good offer on the new iPhone. Once they learn how to use it going with the iMac will likely be a shoe in. It actually takes care of a couple other concerns about data retention/security.
If they are already in the Apple world, maybe.

Long long ago, Apple devices were THE go to thing for image/video editing.
The PC/Windows world quickly caught up.

But if they really want an Apple thing....no harm no foul. Good devices can be had in either ecosystem.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I tend to agree with that. My personal thoughts are that I would not be willing to trade to Apple over Windows/Microsoft. What Apple has going is smart and well optimized, easy to use, and with great aesthetics. I wouldn't suggest anyone buy into that ecosystem, but would say I am biased not only due to my own experience with Apple as an entity, alongside a selfish consideration that since I can't work on them, I lose a prospective resource for my side hustle.