[SOLVED] iMac won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraulioLaguna

Reputable
Jul 26, 2014
I had installed Yosemite on my iMac, then I had installed Windows 10 Technical Preview, and while I was downloading a video, the flashing folder with the question mark came up. I tried to enter safe mode but there weren't any HDD partitions, I tried repairing them but there was only one to verify and I couldn't repair it because it said it was okay, I even tried reinstalling OS X, but there wasn't anywhere to install it. I'm still under warranty but, is there a way to fix it other than going to an Apple Store?

Solution
If Disk Utility on the install media doesn't see the disk then it sounds like a hardware problem - I doubt that Windows will see the disk either. Might be time to use that warranty.
I even tried reinstalling OS X, but there wasn't anywhere to install it.
Did you completely erase the disk and repartition it using Disk Utility? Or does Disk Utlity not even see the disk?

Just as an aside, it is strongly recommended that Windows Technical Preview only be installed on a spare computer or in a Virtual Machine. It is very much pre-beta software and, as such, has the capability to trash a disk in the blink of an eye. in particular, installing it on a Mac - which will have no drivers for it - is a risky business.

BraulioLaguna

Reputable
Jul 26, 2014

It doesn't see the disk.

I guess I'll just have to install Windows 8.1. And does installing Windows Technical Preview void my warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.