Image computer using bootable USB?

consultant

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Can anyone recommend a tool that would allow me to clone a Windows 7 system. Essentially it's a small business and it takes forever to setup a new PC so I just want to clone a newly installed system by creating an image. I'm aware of some of the tools out there but it's not clear to me if any of them could actually create a bootable USB image so on the new PC, all you have to do is plug in a USB Flash drive with the image, boot off the USB and write the image.

My initial finding seems to indicate you can't store the imaging software AND the image file itself on the same USB flash drive but I find it hard to believe nothing out there can do that?

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
google "clonezilla"

It will let you take an image of an existing HD and clone it. If your USB drive is big enough you can also store the image on the USB stick. It requires some messing around to get it working, but it works, and its also free.

For non-free software, take a look at 'Acronis' I have used it before to clone from 1 PC to another (with identical hardware)

consultant

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
I think I've used most of those at one point but only for backup. I tried Clonezilla Live and it wouldn't write the image to the same USB Flash Drive I booted it from. I just need something that works without fuss! This is all I want to do:

1. Boot imaging program from USB
2. Image C: drive to same USB I booted from
3. Boot imaging program from USB on another computer
4. Write C: drive image

Simple as that. And I'd like it to be FREE if possible.

USAFRet

Titan

Your #1 & 2 are at odds with each other. Possibly if you create individual partitions on the USB, and if it is large enough.
Casper can create a bootable image on a USB drive, but it is not free.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005

You can setup something to store the imaging program on the same USB if you do some of the steps by hand.

Acronis is the only product I have used that will do what you want -- so I outline the steps here:
1) Image the PC you want & store the image file somewhere.
2) get a USB stick big enough to hold the image + tools (32 GB?)
3) use the Acronis tools to create a bootable USB
4) copy the image file from step #1 onto the USB.

Now - when you go to image the new PC, the process is not automatic, you need to navigate the menus and select the image file, but after that, it will run.

Lastly -- my experience with "free" is you usually get what you pay for.

WinOutreach2

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
You might want to look into MDT. While more complex than basic cloning/imaging utilities, it is:
1) the recommended deployment solution by Microsoft
2) massively scalable, so you can take what you develop for deploying a few computers and comfortably say that you can use the same process for a few thousand computers
3) granular and reusable, so you can take the process you put together now and use it again and again in different scenarios with different hardware, applications, and images

Some recommended reading:
Deploy Windows 8.1 from a USB stick
Deploy a Windows 8.1 Image Using MDT 2013
Deployment at Windows for IT Pros on TechNet

I hear this everyday from some of my customers like, If I can think it you can do it! and I don't want to have to pay you nothing! Are we living in the real world?

Nobody is noticing your number 3). Because of Microsoft Licensing reasons, you cannot take an image from machine#1 then restore it to Machine#2. There is a technical reason too but am not even going there. Somebody mentioned SYSPREP, this tool is intended for Enterprise IT department to deploy OS to multiple PCs, again not immune to MS Licensing.