Imagination Launches MIPS-Based “Creator CI20” Development Board For Linux And Android, Free For Developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

dovah-chan

Honorable
Hmm I'm not sure what to make of this. Lately there has been a lot of coverage on everyone trying to take down ARM (Everyone being Intel and possibly Imagination if they get rolling). It won't hurt to try MIPs since it can't be as bad as PPC. But ARM was pretty much made for SoC and ASIC applications (sort of like PPC but much more efficient) but has now been exploited by the mobile industry.

I don't feel like this 'one architecture to rule all' deal that most companies are trying to achieve is necessarily needed. It does promote competition and growth which in turn also turn out better products and lower prices. Certain architectures are naturally better suited for different environments.

Now regarding this topic, I think it will be fun to run Debian and set up an FTP server on MIPs. But I do wish to see more support from more distros (notably kubuntu and gentoo) soon.

G

Now regarding this topic, I think it will be fun to run Debian and set up an FTP server on MIPs. But I do wish to see more support from more distros (notably kubuntu and gentoo) soon.
You can find a list of available distros (including Gentoo) at http://elinux.org/CI20_Distros

MIPS is equally suited for SoC and ASIC applications.

dovah-chan

Honorable

Thanks. Interesting to see arch there too. I guess any RISC style architecture is suitable for such applications. I just find ARM more suitable since developers have more experience and it is much more fleshed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.