Imagination Upgrades PowerVR's GPU Texture Compression

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
the title made me think of the SpongeBob episode where they were racing boxes using their imaginations. "You need to use your imaginaaaaaaaatiooooooonnn." haha

lockhrt999

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
It's so ironic that company like Imagination tech which looks so tiny in front of nVidia produces stuff which is in multiple times faster than nVidia flag ship chipsets every time.

I went to visit my friend in that company, I was really impressed. They are bunch of cool dudes.

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]"There are currently about 600 million PowerVR-based GPUs deployed worldwide."Wow! NVIDIA sucks! BTW. It is unbelievable how crappy Tegra 3 GPU performance is! It is obvious that NVIDIA doesn't know how to make an efficient processor. All they know is put more transtors... and that's it![/citation]

It is easy, remember this :
For ultra-mobile :
CPU = ARM
GPU = ARM or PowerVR

For desktops :
CPU = Intel
GPU = nVidia or AMD

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Noob question: is this a 100% software thing that can be applied to existing hardware, or does this include hardware changes that mean it will only be for their GPUs from this point on, or...?

[citation][nom]Kyuuketsuki[/nom]Noob question: is this a 100% software thing that can be applied to existing hardware, or does this include hardware changes that mean it will only be for their GPUs from this point on, or...?[/citation]

Undoubtedly, hardware is being overhauled, not the software or at least not only the software. It will only be their newer GPUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.