img.bestofmedia.com...

aziraphale

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
Over the last few weeks I noticed, that whenever tom's forums lag it is because of the bestofmedia server.

In my opinion this is an absolutely devastating verdict for bestofmedia. As a webmaster of any site this would be the reason to change plans at once. Any thoughts?

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
ya its not only that there is more than what meets the eye. There is a security breach with their AD server and I can for a fact prove what I am saying THG may not even know yet.

ian@bestofmedia

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
@Gomerpile:
This issue has been addressed on the forum where you originally posted your findings, where you agreed that:

1- There is no direct and clear relationship between the activity you witnessed on your local computer and any of Bestofmedia's servers.
2- The behavior you were reporting has stopped and cannot be reproduced.

In that context, the words "security breach" seem a bit overstated ;-)

@Aziraphale:

bestofmedia.com is just a domain name that we use on some of the content delivery servers where our images and rich media content are hosted. No wonder this content is what takes time to download. Depending on your network and physical location on the globe, the server you see as "img.bestofmedia.com" is not the same one. You could say this address is kind of "virtual". Over 90% of what a forum page is actually made of comes from one of those servers. For any practical purposes, the img.bestofmedia.com or www.tomshardware.com servers are part of the same platform: those are just two distinct domain names that constitute the same technical entity.