[SOLVED] Implications of only 1 USB 2.0 header on motherboard?

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
I planning to use the Gigabyte Z390 Designare in a build I'm planning. I read a warning on another site that said this:

(1) you'll need an internal USB hub if you require more than 1 USB 2.0 header, since this mobo only has 1;
What does this mean in practical terms?

Here's what the Designare manual says:

• Chipset+Intel® Thunderbolt™ 3 Controller:

- 2 x USB Type-C™ ports on the back panel, with USB 3.1 Gen 2 support
• Chipset:

- 1 x USB Type-C™ port with USB 3.1 Gen 2 support, available through the
internal USB header

- 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A ports (red) on the back panel

- 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports available through the internal USB header

- 4 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 2 ports available through the internal USB header)
• Chipset+USB 3.1 Gen 1 Hub:

- 4 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports on the back panel

It looks like it has 8 Gen 3 and 2 USB ports plus 2 type C.

What about the ports "available the internal header": What would those be used for?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It means if you have more than one USB 2.0 header (usually associated with your front panel USB ports built into your case), you won't be able to use them all without using an additional USB controller (plugged into a PCIe slot) or use of an adapter to connect to a USB 3.0 header.

popatim

Titan
It means that if you have a case with more the 2 usb devices on it (devices could be USB ports or other things like a built in card reader) then you will have to improvise.
You have two usb3.1 headers so you could get an adapter to plug into one of those, get an extension cable to bring out the rear of the case and plug it in, or simply live without it.

Reactions: PC Tailor

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Thank you for your reply.

It means that if you have a case with more the 2 usb devices on it (devices could be USB ports or other things like a built in card reader) then you will have to improvise.
You have two usb3.1 headers so you could get an adapter to plug into one of those, get an extension cable to bring out the rear of the case and plug it in, or simply live without it.

For record, the case I'm planning to use is this:

Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case

which has a pair of front panel USB 3.2 type A ports.

I think I should be OK, right?

This machine is being built for me and after I get it I was thinking of installing this:

RDCR-11004 – Data Hub for 5.25″ Drive Bays – Two USB 3.0 Ports, Four USB 2.0 Ports, eSATA, Internal Multiple Card Reader

Will that be a problem?