Improve wifi signal.

BluesintheNight

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
I have a router on the ground floor of my house which provides a perfectly acceptable signal although it occasionally goes down, (I can live with that). My Ipad works equally well via wifi however, when I go to bed on the second floor and use the Ipad the signal is very weak or it just drops out. On the first floor is a now unused office (now a guest bedroom) where there is a connection box for an internet cable hard wired to the router on the ground floor, it was used by my wife to connect her lap-top to the internet. Can I use this connection box to connect some form of booster to improve the wifi signal to the top floor. What would you recommend please. My apologies for being long-winded. Thank you.

Solution
The antennas on routers are optimized to radiate in the same plane (elevation) as the router. Adding a ceiling mount access point, sitting on a desk or table pointing up, should improve your WIFI. Sine they are designed to radiate down and out, putting it "upside down" would have it radiating up and out.

kanewolf

Titan
The antennas on routers are optimized to radiate in the same plane (elevation) as the router. Adding a ceiling mount access point, sitting on a desk or table pointing up, should improve your WIFI. Sine they are designed to radiate down and out, putting it "upside down" would have it radiating up and out.

Solution

BluesintheNight

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015