Improving Internet Connection

istari675

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
I have had a lot of issues with comcast recently regarding my internet connection reliability. General random outages and packet loss is pretty common. The connection speed itself isnt that great either. I am currently using a SB6141 which only uses 4 channels. If I were to upgrade to a better modem that uses 8 or 16 would I see any improvement in reliability or speed? I just have the standard comcast package, and I do online gaming so reliability is my major concern.

Solution
While the problem may well be with your ISP, your modem could be failing. I've gone through 3 of them (SB6141) in 5 years. It seems to be heat related so I modded the latest to add a fan for better cooling.

A "better" modem won't help reliability or speed other than replacing the current one may well be needed. I would buy a new one from somewhere that you can return it without hassle in a week if it does not fix your issue. (think Walmart) If it does not then you know that it is the ISP.

RealBeast

Titan
While the problem may well be with your ISP, your modem could be failing. I've gone through 3 of them (SB6141) in 5 years. It seems to be heat related so I modded the latest to add a fan for better cooling.

A "better" modem won't help reliability or speed other than replacing the current one may well be needed. I would buy a new one from somewhere that you can return it without hassle in a week if it does not fix your issue. (think Walmart) If it does not then you know that it is the ISP.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS