[SOLVED] Improving my pre-built PC

Oct 10, 2020
Hello TomsHardware

This is my first time posting on here, so forgive me for any etiquette mistakes.

I have a pre-built ASUS ROG STRIX GL12CM (https://www.asus.com/Tower-PCs/ROG-Strix-GL12/Tech-Specs/)

Recently I have been noticing that there is a pretty loud fan in there, so I am interested in hearing about some good possible replacements. I am not sure if there are any restrictions in regards to them fitting in the case. Hopefully I am able to replace it myself as a PC DIY rookie.
I have not been able to find out what sort of cooling hardware is in there, so I am assuming it is something cheap and basic.

I am also interested in knowing which of the hardware is the most obvious to upgrade - for instance if one component is particularly sub-par compared to the rest. Warranty is expired.

Hopefully someone is able to assist me!
Thanks in advance and please let me know if I have made any mistakes in asking here.

Here are the specs according to the site that I ordered it from:

CPU: Intel Core I7 (8. Gen) 8700K / 3.7 GHz

RAM: 16 GN / 64 GB (max) DDR4 SDRAM 2666 MHz. DIMM 288-PIN

HDD: 512 GB SSD / 1 TB HDD

GFX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX1070 8GB

Motherboard: mATX

Solution
In general, MOST 120mm fans are going to be pretty quiet at <1400rpm. Beyond that, it's a matter of personal preference. Some people prefer to balance silence and temps. Others don't care about fan noise at all and will chase that extra couple degrees regardless of noise. The choice also hinges on the case (how many fans are installed, and what level of airflow restriction it has). You've also got the choice of 3-pin or 4-pin fans. Just look at the number of pins on the connector of the noisy fan and match that.

Probably the easiest path for you, since your noisy fan is still working, is to download a program that will tell you what the fan speed/rpm is (if you can't find the info from the model number on the back of the...
Looks like your case has a 92mm rear exhaust fan, a 120mm top exhaust fan (connected to the AIO radiator), and a 120mm intake fan (in the bottom front of the case. You'll need to figure out which of these is making the noise. Simply stop each fan by gently pressing against the hub (center) of each fan until it stops. If the noise goes away, that's your culprit fan.

As far as upgrades....I see no reason to upgrade anything at this point. What monitor are you using?

Oct 10, 2020
Thanks for your response and sorry for my late response. I am using an Acer Predator XB241H 24" monitor. It seems to be the bottom one making the noise, so I will do some research from the tests on here on what to replace it with.

So all the parts are roughly of equal quality then? I am considering venturing into VR games, specifically TWD: Saints and Sinners to begin with. Do you reckon I will have issues running stuff like that?

In general, MOST 120mm fans are going to be pretty quiet at <1400rpm. Beyond that, it's a matter of personal preference. Some people prefer to balance silence and temps. Others don't care about fan noise at all and will chase that extra couple degrees regardless of noise. The choice also hinges on the case (how many fans are installed, and what level of airflow restriction it has). You've also got the choice of 3-pin or 4-pin fans. Just look at the number of pins on the connector of the noisy fan and match that.

Probably the easiest path for you, since your noisy fan is still working, is to download a program that will tell you what the fan speed/rpm is (if you can't find the info from the model number on the back of the fan hub) and use that info to narrow down your search results to an "equivalent" fan to what's currently installed. Of course, that assumes the current fan(s) setup is performing satisfactorily.

Solution