Improving performance on AMD E-300 system

dandrestor

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016
Hi there,

I have a friend who has a lower end-system using the AMD E-300 CPU (which is soldered to the motherboard) and the graphics card integrated in this CPU (which is a Radeon HD 6310). The performance on his system is quite bad; mundane tasks take a long time to complete, and even video playback from Youtube (something that my friend would like to do a lot of), is choppy. During all these times, the system is cpu-bound, so most likely that's where the problem lies.

My question is this: do you think it would be a worthwhile improvement to get a discrete graphics card, and off-load some of the graphics load from the CPU unit? Would that help in any meaningful way? If yes, can you recommend a card? The motherboard has two PCI Express slots (one x1, and one x16), and the case can accommodate only low-profile cards.

If not, we will look at other upgrade options that include replacing the motherboard/CPU combination with something else. The current motherboard is an Acer D1F-AD.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Best,
Dan

Solution
Dandrestor... I have owned the AMD E-350D which is almost the same thing, and my best advice to you is don't waste your money on a discrete graphics card. It will not help.

The APU might have been "good enough" for basic tasks and watching videos when it first came out, but is simply too weak now. Youtube and Facebook was a nightmare for me, especially when using Google Chrome as it will put all the load onto the CPU, while the GPU portion is left unused. Internet Explorer and Edge performed better. You can also download "AMD System Monitor" and watch how these browsers work when you visit these two sites; you will see what I mean.

My best advice is to upgrade. There is eBay if you want to save some money and don't mind getting used...

dandrestor

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016

I don't see how any of your questions is relevant in my situation.

FXingSerious

Honorable
Jan 15, 2016
Dandrestor... I have owned the AMD E-350D which is almost the same thing, and my best advice to you is don't waste your money on a discrete graphics card. It will not help.

The APU might have been "good enough" for basic tasks and watching videos when it first came out, but is simply too weak now. Youtube and Facebook was a nightmare for me, especially when using Google Chrome as it will put all the load onto the CPU, while the GPU portion is left unused. Internet Explorer and Edge performed better. You can also download "AMD System Monitor" and watch how these browsers work when you visit these two sites; you will see what I mean.

My best advice is to upgrade. There is eBay if you want to save some money and don't mind getting used parts. You can stick with APU's again or you can with the traditional platforms.

Solution
Can't help you if you aren't answering.

More ram= more ram for the apu graphics and operating system
1333mhz ram should be installed, at least 4GB

If windows 7 is installed, disable all aero and other intense options for graphics, try kubuntu live

Newer bios = eventually performance boost

Slow hdd = high loading time in any ways

Is the problem internet related and do other devices like smart phones have the same performance problem on YouTube

Drivers not or wrong installed or outdated, cannot perform like they could

dandrestor

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016

My question is not how the performance of the system can be improved. But thanks for taking the time anyway! :)

dandrestor

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016

Cheers. This helps!

LanonSierra

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
1. Overclock the machine using AMD Catalyst Control Center
2. Set energy management to high performance.
3. Set high priority to programs that you want to run well through task manager. Eg- all games.
4. Use antivirus settings to start "game mode" when a full screen application is launched.