[SOLVED] Improving thermals

Aug 8, 2022
Hi there,

I'm wondering, if you have any suggestions, to improve GPU temps.
Temps and rpm were recorded by HwMonitor.
My setup:
Case: SilentiumPC Signum SG1V EVO TG ARGB
Front intake fans: 3x SilentiumPC Stella HP ARGB 120 PWM max speed at ~700rpm
Exhaust: 2x SilentiumPC Fluctus 120 PWM (max speed ~1000rpm) and SilentiumPC Navis 120 AIO with SilentiumPC Fluctus 120 PWM (max speed ~1000rpm). The first fan is on the back, second and third along with AIO on top.
I5 12400
Gigabyte H610M S2H DDR4
RTX 3080 12GB MSI TRIO LHR
Sharkoon SilentStorm CoolZero 850W 80 Plus Gold

The issue I have is with the GPU temps. I have undervolted the GPU to 0.875mv at 1950Mhz and still, the temps seem a little too high for me given the workload - running CyberPunk2077 or Borderlands 3 benchmarks 2 or 3 times.
Default fan curve.
GPU max temp: 85.2C
Memory: 92C
Hot Spot: 94,5C
Max fan speed ~3000rpm
Ambient temp:~20C

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
The Phanteks is really nice, I prefer the looks over the Torrent, even though I'm normally a pretty big Fractal fan. The 1500rpm fans will move a Ton of air and the design of the p500a is such that air flows very easily, removal of the front mesh only helps the cpu by @ 2°C, which is excellent. The catch is that most fans, even beQuiet or Noctua, get loud at 1500rpm, that can't be helped when the tips of the blades are getting closer to the speed of sound barrier. So be prepared to dial the top speed limit back a little.

The p400 set the bar for airflow and case/cpu/gpu temps many years ago, that prompted Fractal (Meshify and Torrent) , Lian-Li (Lancool series), Corsair (4000D) and several others to really pick up on their game and...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

First thing would be to take off the front fascia and see if the temps get down. If they do, then the front fascia is restricting your airflow. Second thing you could do is leave the fascia intact but swap out the fans for higher RPM better quality fans.

Reactions: accE

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Front intake fans: 3x SilentiumPC Stella HP ARGB 120 PWM max speed at ~700rpm
Garbage fans. 700rpm is miserable, as is the limited cfm, all 3x fans output add up to maybe 1-1.5x decent 120mm fans.

Theres also a severe lack of static pressure, which is how hard the fans blow the air volume (cfm). Low SP fans don't blow very hard, so what air they do move doesn't really go anywhere, especially to the gpu. Meaning gpu temps get higher because the only real source of air is from the vents at the slots on the back of the case.

The RTX3080 needs as much cool air as you can give it, if it's going to have a chance of staying under throttle temps.

Reactions: Nice Nicer

Nice Nicer

Commendable
May 24, 2021
That seems like a lot of fans. I wonder if those 120 mm fans at 700 to 1000 rpm altogether are not as loud as two or three PWM fans that can go up to about 1400 rpm individually.
If i keep in mind that the GPU fan is spinning at 3000 rpm, i would assume that it is really noisy. So the benefit of lower noiselevels caused by the casefans is probably anihilated.
If Karadjgne is right, you could halfen the amount of fans, if they would rotate at twice the speed ( sounds logical 👍 ).
The lack of airpressure might be the problem. Have to agree with Karadjgne.

Aug 8, 2022
The fans are set up in this way - 3 intake fans have a hub, that connects to the motherboard fan header, the AIO fan to the CPU fan header, and the exhaust fans are daisy-chained with the included adapter and connected to the second fan header. Removing the front panel did not benefit the temps, appreciate the advice tho.
Thanks, geofelt, for some unknown reason, my fan curves settings in the bios, were set to silent, even after forcing default bios settings. I've set those to normal. They are now spinning at 1200rpm at max load and my temps improved by 5C on all GPU temperature points. That resulted in the GPU fans spinning only at 2400rpm, so much more please experience sound-wise. It clearly looks like an issue with the intake of fresh air.
This case feet are really small, so I think that adding an extra intake from the bottom will give little to no temp improvement. I wonder if switching either the back or top fan would yield any improvements, any thoughts on that?

Nice Nicer

Commendable
May 24, 2021
I would put the fan with higher maximum rpm at the back, because there is three in the front and only one in the back.

did a quick search on google and the Stella ARGB can go up to 2300 rpm . The Fluctus PWM can go up to 1900 rpm .
Made me wonder, why they write 1200 rpm for the Stella ARGB into the advertisement of the case.
Maybe there are later revisions sold under the same name ?
I am a bit clueless. Because of aesthetics, it would be a lot nicer if the RGB is at the front of course. But putting the faster fan at the back to balance the intake would also seem reasonable

Edited later : might be a stupid idea

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No, don't. What you want is exactly how it sounds. Air Flow. That means cold air in, warm air out in a constant cycle. Anything that disrupts that flow, whether it's obstructions or fans fighting the flow will reduce the amount of cooler air getting to the components or return heat back into the case.

Imagine the swinging door in a resteraunt. Dish boy pushing from one side, waitress pushing from the other. The door goes nowhere except to whoever is pushing the hardest. If dish boy pulled the door, waitress pushed the door, neither has to exert any real effort and the door opens quick. Same with fans, which is why intakes are st the front, pushing air in, exhaust is at the rear pulling air out.

Reactions: accE and Nice Nicer

Nice Nicer

Commendable
May 24, 2021
No, don't. What you want is exactly how it sounds. Air Flow. That means cold air in, warm air out in a constant cycle. Anything that disrupts that flow, whether it's obstructions or fans fighting the flow will reduce the amount of cooler air getting to the components or return heat back into the case.

Imagine the swinging door in a resteraunt. Dish boy pushing from one side, waitress pushing from the other. The door goes nowhere except to whoever is pushing the hardest. If dish boy pulled the door, waitress pushed the door, neither has to exert any real effort and the door opens quick. Same with fans, which is why intakes are st the front, pushing air in, exhaust is at the rear pulling air out.

I didn`t suggest changing the orientation of the fans, i was trying to say that if you have three fans at the front, a huge door, and only one fan at the back, an emergency exit or something like that. If a lot of people enter at the same time, people willl have to leave quickly at the exit. I am just saying that the fan in the back might have to run a bit faster than the ones at the front.

Aug 8, 2022

Thank you very much for the input. I think that at this point, it makes more sense to me to look for another case, rather than fiddling around with this one, changing fans, which might still end up not being ideal. Having said that, I'm more than open to case recommendations.
From my limited research, I've picked Phanteks Eclipse P500A DRGB and Fractal Torrent. I'm leaning towards Phanteks due to the price difference in my country, but I would love to hear your opinion on this :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The Phanteks is really nice, I prefer the looks over the Torrent, even though I'm normally a pretty big Fractal fan. The 1500rpm fans will move a Ton of air and the design of the p500a is such that air flows very easily, removal of the front mesh only helps the cpu by @ 2°C, which is excellent. The catch is that most fans, even beQuiet or Noctua, get loud at 1500rpm, that can't be helped when the tips of the blades are getting closer to the speed of sound barrier. So be prepared to dial the top speed limit back a little.

The p400 set the bar for airflow and case/cpu/gpu temps many years ago, that prompted Fractal (Meshify and Torrent) , Lian-Li (Lancool series), Corsair (4000D) and several others to really pick up on their game and improve things, so any of those cases are a serious improvement over show (off) -cases like the Lian-Li O11 Dynamic etc.

Put the rad on top in exhaust, the cpu can take the hit, it's only pushing @ 200w, but the gpu is air-cooled 300+ watts so needs all the fresh air it can get.

Solution