[SOLVED] in 8 years it is better to upgrade only the CPU while keeping the same motherboard or is it better to change together you know CPU than motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grealish01

Great
BANNED
Jan 22, 2022
PC use in these 8 years will be quite pretentious: programming, 3D CAD design and gaming. I start from an i5-12600K. my options are 2 :. 1 take a 300 euro ddr5 motherboard that hypothetically will last all 8 years that can withstand very high consumption, on which I will put the top of the range Intel 13 or 14 gen (if they keep the same socket) in the middle of the 8 years, then 1 motherboard ddr5 for 8 on which to upgrade the CPU. 2 take 12600K and a slightly cheaper motherboard (still Z690 as in option 1) and when I need it (in 3/4/5 years) I will change both CPU and motherboard. I am a little more inclined to the second option, what do you advise me to do?

Solution
As a practical matter, when one decides to upgrade a processor, a motherboard upgrade is done at the same time.
Why is that?
Usually one does not buy an entry level processor and high performance motherboard to start with. Available processor upgrades are mostly known at the introduction of a new chipset.
By the time a cpu upgrade is needed, new gen processors make a simple dpu upgrade in place not so attractive.
Go back to the dilemma of a i5-3570k or i5-4690K owner
looking to upgrade to a 8 thread upgrade.

Currently Intel Z690 motherboards in either ddr4 or ddr5 versions cap out with i9-12900K. The next gen (13) will be compatible but from one gen to the next may only be a modest 10% boost in IPC which is what games need most...

Grealish01

Great
BANNED
Jan 22, 2022
8 years from now, a motherboard bought today for a 12th Gen CPU will not fit with whatever they are doing in 2030.

This holds for Intel AND AMD.
AMD is a bit better, but NOT 8 years worth.
I Got It. Thanks. Can you give me some indication and some technical specifications of a specific motherboard for the high over clock and the longevity and safety during the years in the high over clock (which I can also find in the reviews)? (please don't recommend me a specific model, I would like to evaluate a motherboard through those technical data that are important especially for over clock capabilities and security while doing it)

voodoobunny

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Just want to put a word in here, specifically re Intel vs AMD:

AMD has an established reputation for keeping socket compatibility over multiple generations (*mostly). If you buy a higher-end DDR5-gen motherboard now, there is a much better chance that you will still be able to upgrade to the latest AMD chip in 4 years' time - or even to the previous-year's gen for which prices will have fallen. For example, I bought a gen-2 Ryzen chip (2600) and a mid-range motherboard (ASRock Fatal1ty B450) in 2018. With the latest BIOS, I can upgrade to the latest (gen-5) Ryzen chips or any of the chips in between. With the equivalent gen-5 Ryzen chips I would be looking at up to 50% better performance; with the top-model Ryzen 5000's, I could get more than 3X better performance (not exactly a fair comparison, but I could, just by upgrading the chip).

For Intel .... it's not really worth considering. Intel have only kept compatibility between generations mmmmmmaybe twice in the past ten generations, and for those the upgrade was nothing special. If you go Intel, you're committing to upgrading your motherboard when you upgrade your chip. That said, the 12th-gen Intel chips are pretty phenomenal, and I say that as an openly-declared AMD fanboi. If you want the absolute fastest chips now, especially for gaming, and you don't mind buying your own cooler for a space-heater of a machine, the Intel chips own their price points. Just remember that the upgrade path requires a new motherboard.

(* the caveat to AMD compatibility is: don't buy a low-end motherboard. There were all kinds of shenanigans when the third-gen Ryzen chips came out, specifically related to AMD not supporting them on the lowest-end first-gen chipsets. Most of the low-end motherboards that used them didn't have enough BIOS memory to store the compatibility information for both the original chips and the newer ones, so that prevented them from supporting the new chips. Much chaos ensued. You should be able to avoid that by staying away from that end of the market, and if you're buying a high-end chip then you give up some of the benefits anyway by cheaping out on the motherboard).

Reactions: Grealish01
I Got It. Thanks. Can you give me some indication and some technical specifications of a specific motherboard for the high over clock and the longevity and safety during the years in the high over clock (which I can also find in the reviews)? (please don't recommend me a specific model, I would like to evaluate a motherboard through those technical data that are important especially for over clock capabilities and security while doing it)
High overclock and longevity don't usually go hand in hand.

As a practical matter, when one decides to upgrade a processor, a motherboard upgrade is done at the same time.
Why is that?
Usually one does not buy an entry level processor and high performance motherboard to start with. Available processor upgrades are mostly known at the introduction of a new chipset.
By the time a cpu upgrade is needed, new gen processors make a simple dpu upgrade in place not so attractive.
Go back to the dilemma of a i5-3570k or i5-4690K owner
looking to upgrade to a 8 thread upgrade.

Currently Intel Z690 motherboards in either ddr4 or ddr5 versions cap out with i9-12900K. The next gen (13) will be compatible but from one gen to the next may only be a modest 10% boost in IPC which is what games need most.
If one needs a processor upgrade, it is usually a much bigger jump, and that will only be available with a different chipset.
Today, DDR4 and DDR5 performance is comparable.
DDR4 motherboards and ram are much cheaper.
At some time, DDR5 will become predominant, and a requirement for gen 14 intel.

If you have no budget restrictions, buy what cpu/mobo you need today and expect to replace it when you need more.
Today, the usual upgrade for a gamer will be the graphics card anyway..

Today, on a budget, the i5-12600K and ddr4 Z690 is a good buy.
DDR5 option is not very budget viable.
The gaming capabilities of 12600k and 12900k are not very different because the single thread performance is not very different.
The batch production capability is much different because of the addition of 8 more processing threads. games will not effectively use more than 4-6 threads.

On overclocking capabilities; don't bother.
Modern processors are binned and built to use turbo mechanism's to get peak performance out of the box.
Only if you are an OC hobbyist seeking records would you be interested in that aspect.

Solution
PC use in these 8 years will be quite pretentious: programming, 3D CAD design and gaming. I start from an i5-12600K. my options are 2 :. 1 take a 300 euro ddr5 motherboard that hypothetically will last all 8 years that can withstand very high consumption, on which I will put the top of the range Intel 13 or 14 gen (if they keep the same socket) in the middle of the 8 years, then 1 motherboard ddr5 for 8 on which to upgrade the CPU. 2 take 12600K and a slightly cheaper motherboard (still Z690 as in option 1) and when I need it (in 3/4/5 years) I will change both CPU and motherboard. I am a little more inclined to the second option, what do you advise me to do?

I doubt an 8 year old motherboard will support TPM 2.0 and secure boot. Thus your shelf life is limited far as Windows goes. If you are using it on Linux you are golden. That said I'm still rocking a 3770k @ 4.4GHz that is still running pretty strong. Other than 2 burnt out RPM headers for fans and 1 replaced PSU, it's been rock solid and still going strong as a secondary PC for moderate to light modern gaming.

I would wait till you are forced to upgrade to windows 11 due to EOL Win 10. (if you are a win guy)

bignastyid

Titan
Status
Not open for further replies.