In 90 Minutes, Humble Bundle Raises $300,000 For Rights Groups

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anonymous does not represent Tom's views nor does Tom's endorse ANYTHING he says. Anonymous is a silent individual voice who only represents his own personal beliefs.

No need for you to click on any discussion you don't like.

On a side note I have no clue why this seems to be in Gaming. Should a moderator change that? Idk.

geischen

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017
The ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) uses legal action to protect the Civil Liberties of all persons in the United States.
This includes such actions as defending the right to peaceful assembly as guaranteed in the Bill of Rights. The American Nazi Party was defended by the ACLU when cities and states tried to ban them from meeting.
The ACLU has defended individuals and groups of all persuasions, especially when those were unpopular.
Believing that the ACLU only champions liberal groups shows that the the false information "alternative facts" problem is wide spread.
It can take an annoying amount of time to sift through the assertions that litter our social dialog; but it is possible for anyone who chooses to live connected to reality.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Source showing that the majority of terrorists (in the US) came from the 7 countries listed in Trump's executive order?

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Honestly, I am hesitant to buy such a bundle. A couple of the charities I agree with, a couple take an active approach in suppressing free speech in the name of equality.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

Bull. If you pick the 3 highest casualties terrorist attacks on US soil by non US citizens (9/11, San Bernardino , Boston Marathon), here are their countries of origin:

Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Lebanon, United Arab Emirates, Pakistan, and Dagestan.

What do ALL these countries have in common? Not one is among the 7 countries on Trump's banned list. How can you possibly claim this immigrant ban is for the safety of the US, when not one of 6 countries responsible for the worst terrorist attacks on US soil are on the list?

There's also the slight detail that Giuliani has stated that Trump asked him to assemble a commission to show him how to legally implement a Muslim ban. Not sure how you are going to argue something different with that established fact.

desolation0

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
I wanted to mention, while you can't choose not to give to charity in this bundle, you can choose which of the three charities available receives your particular cash if not all of the above. If there is a particular one you dislike, you can certainly earmark your payment for one of the other two.

elho_cid

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
I understand that you don't want to support the vultures from ACLU, but you can get the bundle and have the money sent to MSF. They are actually trying to help people in invaded countries such as Ukraine, or victims of earthquakes.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

Ah the fun in the comments, screw it, this will be fun, if you decided to read this then read to the end because wording will make what I write sound so much worse then it is.

First off, I am a liberal, but I'm sure as hell not a democrat, and not above voting republican especially in devil you know to devil you dont scenarios, or in the case of this election, sticking your thumb in the establishments eye. I didn't vote but I hoped for trump and so far... better than expected.

Because this devolved into the muslim ban and immigration, here Is how I see it. I want discrimination, not based on what you look like but based on what you believe and who you are. The one uniting factor in immigration that makes this country good when you go through the legal channels is they are all here because they WANT to be there, they WANT to be in this culture, and will hopefully bring all the good that their original culture had along with them, they can believe whatever the hell they want so long as they honestly want to be here. However, the mass import of economic migrants who don't want to be here but it's a good place for a job or handouts, the import of low skilled labor, or the import of people who just flat out refuse to assimilate THAT we can do without, and would much rather, in the case of refugees, give money to governments around the area they are coming from money to to host/deal with them there, apposed to the mass import. Part of the process of assimilation I honestly believe that you should be required to be able to speak english, because without that ability, are you going to assimilate or are you going to break off into your own little cliques. A point of personal experience has showed me the import of low skilled workers, either legally or illegally only screws middle class people and poor over hard, due to places you work deciding if they go down south, they could get a far cheaper workforce. Or in the case of h1b1, they can demand someone with several majoris or phds to work for borderline minimum wage, and when they cant find someone willing to do that they lower the standards a bit and import from somewhere else to get cheap and highly exploitable labor.

now just specifically on the ban list, http://storymaps.esri.com/stories/2016/terrorist-attacks/ you can kind of easily see a few of these places were chosesn for a reason, while other notable countries like saudi arabia was not listed for fiarly obvious reason (the money + 'allies'). I personally don't want to see what's happening in europe happen to america. I want a proper vetting system in place for any refugee if we even take them into our country, and in the case of migrants, if they want in so bad, go through the proper channels, the reason so few get let in or ok'ed every year is simple, we can not sustain everyone who wants to come to america just automatically being given the ok.

Not sure If I went off topic, but this is the way I see it. It would be in america's best interest to not take ANY refugees in but instead fund other countries to deal with them.

jungleboogiemonster

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
When I was in k-12 some of my fellow students were refugees from Vietnam and Cambodia. The fear then was that among the refugees were communist sympathizers who would destroy the country. But, as we see now, there weren't. They were just families with kids. In first grade Sok and Put showed up. I still vividly remember their first day at lunch. The cafeteria was serving chicken legs and Sok and put didn't eat just the meat, they also ate the bone. These were little kids who faced starvation and death, but luckily there were good people here who gave them a chance to live.

Pompompaihn

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Jeesh, the ignorance is strong in this group.

ACLU may not always defend what you agree on but it's not just some liberal think tank...they were recently allied with the NRA on repealing the "mental health" gun ban that Obama wrote in as an executive order. They actually have a pretty remarkable record of defending individual rights even when it would seem to be against their core mission, and MANY "conservatives" have benefited from their efforts even though they derided the agency before needing them.

And I do so adore this random argument that donating to any charity you don't agree with is somehow taking food and housing away from veterans. If we took the $25,000,000,000 budget for "The Wall" we could afford to give EVERY single one of the roughly half million homeless in the USA a $50,000 mobile home. Just something to think about when you're crying about a company sending a couple hundred thousand to help foreign children not die of preventable diseases....

rmpumper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009

I see that you are one of those people who do not comprehend nuance. Obama was deporting illegal immigrants just like all other presidents before him, while Trump has banned everyone from specific countries, even documented immigrants who have been living/working in the US for decades, from entering the US.

rmpumper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009

Let me guess:
- you did not vote for the guy who did care, Sanders (because he is a commusint or whatever),
- you don't mind that Melania's security costs more than is spent for all homeless in NYC,
- you only complain about people not giving "2 fux" on forums, but do not help vets yourself.

The company usually lets customers decide how their payments are split up--all the money can go to a charity, for example, or it can be split between the charity and Humble Bundle itself--and features a "pay what you want" scale along with some higher tiers which require minimum payments. The service, then, is all about freedom.

The Humble Freedom Bundle differs in that 100% of proceeds will go to rights organizations, and Humble Bundle vowed to match donations up to $300,000.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
@shrapnel_indie
It says that this bundle is different in that all proceeds go to charity rather than an amount, at your discretion, going to Humble Bundle. It doesn't say you can't choose how to allocate the funds between charities.

garrett040

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2014
It IS A 90 day on muslim majority nations, for a purpose, to satiate his constituents. A suspension IS a temporary BAN. And please do tell, if this was for the suspensions of "terrorist exporting" nations, then why is Saudi Arabia not on said list? Saudi Arabia is the main propagator of Wahhabism, it would be in our best interest to not support them, but we are in bed with Saudi Arabia financially and want them to trade in the US dollar, so they are not effected by the ban. Sad.

Sep 30, 2013
As a Swede I'm offended by this stinking topic. I hope there's a possibility to send all the money to doctors without borders but maybe that's not the case.

Also they are wrong. The US was created by Europeans and up to the sixties others wasn't allowed it. Whatever to expand the US was also discussed but one didn't do so, so the idea of not wanting everyone there was a thing and it's created in that and while it's made up of immigrants the number of Muslims are less than 1%.

Now there's of course nothing wrong with having become a refugee and the US and Sweden is different. People come to the US for freedom and a chance to create something of themselves. Some people come to Sweden for the same reasons but the reason most of the so called "refugees" ends up in northern and western Europe is because of the handouts of money.

Different societies and different immigrants.

The people who are worried about Muslim immigration aren't against liberty they just want to make sure theirs isn't ruined because their societies doesn't put freedom of the individual first and they may not accept that system (but if so maybe they wouldn't come to the US, except for the few people coming with actual intent to destroy it.)

Sep 30, 2013
Reply to @DSTARR3 Feb 13, 2017, 2:42 PM:

Well, the US is the once who threw out Saddam, Gadaffi, tried with Assad and which together with it's rich Arab allies have funded the rebel groups and hence caused the instability and war... So they by far isn't free of guilt and can't blame others for it and it would be kinda fair if they had to suffer the consequences of it rather than us in Sweden who have done what really? Our government let the air-force fly recognize missions in Libya and that was stupid if one want to claim no responsibility but beyond that it has been limited.

The good old days when Sweden had less refugees, foreign aid actually went to foreign nations and the Swedish military participated as part of the UN was better.

Sep 30, 2013
As a Swede I'm offended by this stinking topic. I hope there's a possibility to send all the money to doctors without borders but maybe that's not the case.

Also they are wrong. The US was created by Europeans and up to the sixties others wasn't allowed it. Whatever to expand the US was also discussed but one didn't do so, so the idea of not wanting everyone there was a thing and it's created in that and while it's made up of immigrants the number of Muslims are less than 1%.

Now there's of course nothing wrong with having become a refugee and the US and Sweden is different. People come to the US for freedom and a chance to create something of themselves. Some people come to Sweden for the same reasons but the reason most of the so called "refugees" ends up in northern and western Europe is because of the handouts of money.

Different societies and different immigrants.

The people who are worried about Muslim immigration aren't against liberty they just want to make sure theirs isn't ruined because their societies doesn't put freedom of the individual first and they may not accept that system (but if so maybe they wouldn't come to the US, except for the few people coming with actual intent to destroy it.)

rotflcopter

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
I tell myself I'm not a racist. I tell myself I'm not a bigot. I tell myself that "middle eastern name here" is not a threat." I still handle myself differently around "middle eastern name here" and I'm kinda sorry for it. But not much.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I realize "middle eastern name here" boils down to "everyone that ain't me." Yay, I'm not racist. I suspect bad things from everyone equally.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
The American Communist League Union. Wonderful. It's ok for these corporations to directly support liberal, left-wing values. But when the founder of Hobby Lobby is interviewed about his PERSONAL beliefs about abortion, that corporation is EVIL and must be brought low.

The screaming masses have held their tongues for 8 years. Now all that pent up rage from being failures in life is coming out.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
The inscription on the Statue of Liberty says "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,"

Not "Your huddled masses yearning to enslave us all under sharia law. "

or "Your huddled masses yearning for free handouts, healthcare, and obamaphones.

Why are we not letting in Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, hell even atheists?

The only problem I have with immigrants are the ones who are 1) criminals 2) terrorists and 3) leeches.

Status
Not open for further replies.